Wisconsin deer hunters

wis boz

Wisconsin deer hunters tomorrow is the opening and today the entire state is covered or will be covered with snow. Ideal for hunting so good luck to all and be safe and enjoy.
wis boz

One of my buddies up here is from WI, he is down there now for thanks giving....and deer hunting...

Their family property - and that county - has issues and he plans on whacking as many as he can to help out.

Good luck to all of you in Wisconsin. Stay safe! I can remember seeing that sea of orange when I hunted. Most of the time I was hunkered down behind a clump of huge oak trees.
It was a difficult transition when I left Alaska to live in Wisconsin.
Al

Dave & Al
You are right but we hunt on private property (my son's) and evade those crowds.
wis boz

Last edited:
Dani
Thanks for the good hunting wishes but---here's what actually happened: saturday the temp was 20 degrees, normally comfortable in Wisconsin, but the NorthWest wind was blowing 15 to 18 miles per hour gusting to 26 mph. The temperature dropped steadily to a lo of 9 degrees. It was brutal to say the least. We heard very few gun shots, saw four deer. One in our party shot and wounded a big buck which crossed into posted land where my son had permission to trail anything wounded. He spent over two hours trailing a blood trail, not pushing hard--saw two bedded areas with dried blood so he knew he wasn't pushing him. The trail finally was lost and he came back to the cabin not pleased to say the least. The wind continued thru the nite into the next day and we all decided (which is a first for us) to skip the dawn shoot until either the wind or the temperature abated. Sunday was a bit better after dawn and we all went to different blinds but saw few deer (two I think) and no shots. I had to leave monday and traveled into a snow storm with icy roads getting heavier the closer to Southern Wisconsin I got, driving into my driveway on a snow/ice combination. It wasn't a great opening but nevertheless it's always fun to get out into nature :)
wis boz

Last edited:
Well bummer on the wounded deer and lack of deer Boz. That's too cold for my tastes for sure. It's supposed to hit freezing here tonight. And I know that'll be COOOOOOOLD for us. Us Floridians will be all parkaed up. Luckily it won't last long....

Dani
That's cold in Florida! At least we're better prepared for it compared to you. I suppose the price of orange juice will skyrocket now? just kidding. Stay warm.
wis boz

If it does like gas did here then the country is in for a SHOCK

in less than 5 days it went from 3.05 to 3.39!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the wounded deer...I haven't met a hunter yet that likes to lose game, even when they've done everything they can.

Laura killed two does on the second morning of gun season down here, and I thought she missed both. No blood trail in the food plot. We got 50 feet inside the woods, and it looked like someone spattered red paint all over. It would be nice to try and track in snow!!!! We were trailing in wet leaves and pine straw... "I got the trail...oh, no...wait...just a leaf..."

Your post reminds me of when I was up in Wausau visiting my folks over the holidays several years ago. We were up around Minocqua and further north, hitting shops and visiting, and stopped on the way back just outside Wausau at a restaurant/bar/tavern to get a pizza. There was a truck in the parking lot that literally had deer stacked in the bed like cordwood. Old, beat up Ford, I think, squatted down, no tailgate, frozen dead deer just stacked in layers in the bed. Something like 15 or more, if I remember correctly...

Back