WISPETE-- Mustang Classic Bomber Jacket

LI-Jack

I got to hunt 4 out of 5 days with the Classic Bomber Jacket. I mentioned that my first impression was that I felt a like a stuffed sausage but I did get use to the jacket. I'm 6' 2" 235 Lbs (on a good scale). I went out a couple of days with highs of 28 and flood tides, wading in a honey hole chocked with stumps and logs. I felt so comfortable wearing the jacket and had to unzip a bit to let the heat out. I was able to shoulder and scratch down a drake mallard, with my second shot of my double (shouldering wasn't so bad once I got the hang of it). Not much working my area but did get the one bird to commit, for the dogs sake I connected.

The next day I, foolishly, took out the sneakbox to go for some divers and brant. Winds were strong wnw steady 25-30mph, flood tide. I wore the jacket and never even uncased my gun that day. I was warm and comfortable, and all was well until I saw what I had to go through to get back. My partner in anorther sneakbox (mlb chuck huff) was with me, and we got soaked. We had 2-3 foot white caps for about .1/8 to 1/4 mile, and slow and steady we chugged along. The jacket shed water like a ducks back, but with that cold wind, It froze on the material and peeled off like an orange skin at the dock. Warm and dry, except for my hand holding the engine tiller handle.

I am glad I made the purchase, but was stupid for even trying to get out on the bay.

There was only one time I got a little nervous, it was when ice was building up on the boats grass, and bow. My new 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke felt like a slug, but I think I have to tweak the weight distribution. I was never able to get her to plane correctly, which it use to with a 9.9 2-stroke tohatsu.

Anymore bay hunts will be bluebird days, untill I get the boat to ride correctly. I will be wearing the jacket everytime I go out, either wading or boating-- I never got wet or cold.

-Jack

Jack,
Great report on the jacket- I've been debating between the Mustang and the Sterns and need to get off the fence. What color did you get?

-Bill

Last edited:
I went with Olive Drab Green, without solas reflectors. I remember mustang making a camoflauge version of the bomber jacket, but it's discontinued. I think you could special order it though from them. I like the length of the bomber instead of the jacket. Never interfered with sitting and standing to shoot. I wish I bought the hood for it because, my hooded sweat shirt was wet on my head, but froze in seconds, so it never dripped down my back. I have a blaze orange hood that someone gave me that I'll use for the boat ride back--- although I wont need it since I'm sticking to land when winds break 20mph.

Glad to hear you like the jacket. They're definitely a lifesaver. I have the full coat, but wish I'd just gotten the bomber jacket.

We started selling them just because I was looking for one for myself and couldn't find one anywhere, so we became a dealer.

I'm 99% sure we can still get them in Mossy Oak. I hadn't heard that was discontinued.

Also, for anyone deciding between the Mustang and the Stearns, there's no comparison. The Stearns is basically just a PFD. The Mustang is more anti-hypothermia with the neoprene cuffs and belt closure to keep water out and keep you warm. It's also a lot more heavy duty. I'm not spamming. Even if you don't buy the Mustang from us, it's a lot safer and heavy duty.

Take care,

Back