Wonder if this....

Dave Sikorski

wood duck hen is telling all the other hens about the UFO thingy that was stuck in her box with the bright light on it today.

Not sure what she's sitting on, but I'm gonna set up two trail cameras on this one in the next few days. This box was purchased from the Maryland Wood Duck Initiative and put up in March. It's in Easton, MD. Not sure how far along the eggs are, but hopefully I'll capture the big leap.

-D

255792_10201137743550582_1957839028_n.jpg

Dave, this is exciting especially knowing that we will see some more shots of her on the nest. I'll anticipate "the big leap". Thanks for this post.
Al

I set up a trail camera a day or two after the original pic.

Got some video, but none of the big leap. Plenty of wood ducks hanging around.

Today I went to pull the camera and found 1 egg left in the box and momma walking her ducklings across the field to get away from me. I think I counted 9 and they were very small. I didn't want to chase them around so I didn't bother to get close enough to count. I think they may have jumped within the last day or so, maybe even this morning.

The farmer has been seeing 30 or soo woodies between this pond and another. Hopefully the other boxes have good production too.

photo1-2_zps3ce1619b.jpg

photo-1_zps5e03f8ed.jpg

Last edited:
Back