workbench...well, woodshed

Gary Tanner

After years of storing our firewood in stacks under tarps, we decided it was time to make a proper woodshed. She who must be obeyed said it could only be three courses deep. I don't question, I just "do." We need to store 3 cords, so I did the math: volumetrically, it needed to be 4' wide, 6' tall, and 16' long to hold the three cords. Built the frame kind of quasi-post & beam. Built trusses with 6/12 pitch to match house and shed I built a couple years ago. Kind of a fun project, and I think the neighbors will be glad to see the camo tarps gone. A few pics (not shown - I used 5/4X6 p.t. decking, spaced 1.5" apart, to side 3 sides for lots o' ventilation:
temporary bracing shown...subsequently replaced with inletted braces:

Flooring down:

Inletted rim joist and joist:

Rafters (the pitch and overhang worked out perfectly for two 4X8 sheets of OSB sheathing per side:

Ooooh, I like that a lot. Some nice attention to detail too! Classy.

Everything should be under cover in my world - even firewood! I built a similar structure last summer for the camper - I just can't stand having things sitting out in the rain and snow and potentially rotting. All snug as a bug now! I'm up to 2000 square feet of covered storage outside the house now! :).

Nice job. I like how you minimized waste using a pitch that fully utilizes the full 4x8. A pet peeve.

Nice work, Silverback!

On the other hand - had you used the right camo on those tarps - Green Mountain Digi-Max Predator
X-treme IV-B ? - your neighbors would never have seen your cords....

All the best,

SJS

That is one great looking wood shed. I will look forward to the day you have your wood all stacked inside. Well done!
Al

Thank you all for the kind words! And it will start filling up again; a big old maple blew down last nite in the front yard. Wasn't planning on that work today!
Gary

Back