2008 Season East Central Florida

Frank Kapp II

I thought I would give a brief report on my season. I was sick a lot during the early part of the season, but got in several hunts late in the year. One of the young men that grew up in the neighborhood was generous enough to take me with him on several hunts. I loaned him gear and a boat when he was in high school and he is now in college graduate school. He wanted to go while on school break and brought a layout boat down with him.

We took my old skiff and pulled his layout boat into the marsh. It is a true layout and painted (with an air brush?) to looks like hydrilla and dark water. It looks kinda strange in the bed of the pickup, but worked very well on ringnecks and teal. I wanted him to go first and he wanted me to go first, but I said I needed to see how it was done. He loaded in off the bow after we set the decoys. We used 2 dozen coots and 6 teal plus 6 ringnecks (actually G&H Scaup with rings magic markered on the bills) By 8:30 he had 4 birds and called me out. I poled out and climbed in and he poled back into the cat tails. I had a little trouble sitting up and shooting. I managed 2 ringnecks and a teal. We left at 10:30 as he had a lot of visiting to do. I got to go far a repeat of the same action on the 4 and 5 of January. I edned up with 6 picked ringnecks in the freezer and my wife and I ate two teal on two occasions. All in all it was a very good season for me though a short one. At 75 years old I still enjoy the marsh as much as ever.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank
P.S. I enjoy the forum and stories very much as well.
Thanks again.
F.

Thanks Frank,
Your words are inspirational. I pray you have many more seasons to chase 'dem loosive waterfowl".
Best,
Harry

Hey Frank,

Sounds like you had a good time.

You live about 20 miles south of me; I'm in Palm Bay. Next season you're welcome to come along.

Hitch

Back