4-stroke on a Sneak boat?

Matt Masters

I have a A.A. Blackjack that is motorless as of now. But I have a '02 Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke on my flat bottom. I am trying to sell the flat bottom, motor, and trailer. My question is would that motor be too much for the Blackjack. The Blackjack is rated for a 25hp motor but I was wondering if weight will be too much. I haven't seen many if any sneak boats running a 4-stroke and I think the weight could be a big factor in reason why I haven't. I would love to do some trading on a 2 stroke but just seeing if it would be worth keeping/trying on the Blackjack. Any and all opinions are welcome.

I JUST FACED THE SAME THING ON MY DEVLIN. MY 2 STROKE 15 HP WAS STOLEN. NOW I AM WORKING FROM MEMORY HEAR SO BEAR WITH ME, BUT A 2 STROKE 15 YAMAHA IS ABOUT 80 LBS. THE FOUR STROKE EQUIVILANT IS ABOUT 115 LBS. I JUST COULD NOT JUSTIFY ANOTHER 35 LBS. AT THE REAR OF MY 12' DEVLIN BLUEBILL. HOLD OUT, SEASON IS ALMOST OVER, TAKE YOUR TIME AND SEEK OUT A GOOD USED MOTOR. IF YOU WORK YOU CAN FIND SOME LEFTOVER 2 STROKES, I DID!

GIL

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what mine ways. Only info I have found are on the newer 4-strokes and they are like 180lbs. I don't think mine weighs that much and if it does I'm stronger than what I thought and it won't go on the back of my sneak. I have a trolling motor and battery located at the rear of my boat and the motor once I get another one. I really want a 2 stroke 20hp but it's almost impossible to find one.

I have a 2002 25 four stroke yamaha on my 14ft tin boat for river fishing and that is probably the heaviest 25hp I have ever seen. I wouldn't put it near my sneakbox transom.

Yamaha says my 25 is 154 lbs and that is a tiller, electric start, four stroke.

My 15 2 stroke yamaha I use on my sneakbox per yamaha is 79 lbs. A lot easier on my back when moving the boat off a sedge bank!

I will have to say it is the heaviest 25 there is. Wish I could trade it for a 2 stroke. For those who have a 15hp on there's how well does it perform?

ONE THING YOU MAY WANT TO RESEARCH, IS THE SUZUKI'S, IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY WANT A FOUR STROKE. I SEEM TO REMEMBER THEM BEING SIGNIFICANTLY LIGHTER THAN THE YAMAHA.

JUST A THOUGHT,

GIL

Unless it's a small 4 stroke....9.9 HP or so it's too much weight back there.

Stick with a 15 2 stroke. Much better in super cold weather if you have to get it started in a hurry.

check nissan 4 strokes 112 lbs in 20 hp. then move gas tank to bow gas wt. is 7 plus lbs. a gallon use a 3 gal can for space saving and 21 lbs plus. 4strokes very easy on fuel. this might balance wt. in boat good luck.

I've had a similar question in my mind, Matt, so I hope you don't mind my adding it to this thread. I'd like eventually to get a larger motor for my boat (right now it has a 5 hp, approximately 45 pound Nissan on the transom.

My question is this:

Let's say I'm thinking of moving up to an 81 pound, 8 horsepower motor.

Is it a reasonably accurate estimate of how the boat will sit in the water under power if inside the boat on the floor, just forward of the transom, I place a box containing 36 pounds of metal, and then operate the boat with the existing 5 hp outboard on the transom?

I suspect this is probably nowhere as good a test as simply mounting an 8 horsepower outboard on the transom, and then operating the boat. At present, however, I don't have access to such a motor, and I'd be disappointed, to say the least, if I purchase that motor then find out it is too heavy for my boat.

Last edited:
Strikes me that HP ratings for smaller/older boats (16' and less) are tuned to lighter 2 strokes. I also think that HP ratings are typically greater than they ought to be. Combining these 2 trends & you can end up with a lot of weight on the stern of a small boat. Trim can be adjusted with moving balast around but this is still a pain in the butt workaround.

I just decided to throw more money at a mid-90s OMC 3 hp I bought new for about 600 bucks (the devil I know). When I looked to replace it I found out I'm in the 10% that did not know that no new 2 strokes are available in HPs less than 15 hp. It also struck me that the low HP 4 strokes are relatively primative. My old OMC had two cylinders. The new 4s of about the same HP all seem to have one cylinder.

Like you guys - the 4 strokes are just to heavy. I was really hoping on a Evenrude etec in 15hp - 2 stroke coming out. I guess not. Dealing on a used 15 Yamaha S/S now - don't know what I'll do when I wear this one out. Mercury is all 4 stroke and to dam heavy!

Check Honda spec's, they are the lightest of the 4 strokes.

Correct. I had a hard time deciding between the 4 stroke 20HP Honda (104lbs) vs. the Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke for my Estuary. In the end, I bought the Yammie. The Honda 15 and 20 are the same weight.

Back