A day on Long Lake

Gary March

Work is getting very busy now and Sunday I head to the Shot Show for a week. Yesterday my son and I went hunting on the lake where I live. Wanted to do something easy. When morning came I filled the thermous and walked down and jumped into the boat. Idled about 1/4 mile down lake and set up. I told Erik I was going to hunt Buffleheads today and he looked at me like (Your going to what?) I haven't taken any of these little butterballs in years. Knowing the lake had plenty and lots of other species, we put out Bufflehead decoys and a set of Barrows decoys. They are usually on the lake come January. Enclosed are some photo's of the days hunt. I hope you enjoy them.

One of Rich Hohlers decoys
mg2997.jpg

The hens got a free pass as usual
mg3040u.jpg

A flock of buffies flying by
mg3055.jpg

River retrieving a buffie as saying "Dad how did I pick up the little guys?"
mg3074.jpg

A Merganser doing a fly by
mg3080w.jpg

This Pintail look as me like most pintails saying BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
mg3082.jpg

Another Buffie flying by
mg3088.jpg

There was a few wigeon flying around also.
mg3105.jpg

Some more wigeon
mg3107.jpg

These Mergs kept tempting me all day. I guess they like all the black and white in the decoys
mg3141x.jpg

These little hoodeds were everywhere. Beautiful little duck
mg3204.jpg

Another flock of Mergatroids
mg3234.jpg

Another pic of a drake Buffie
mg7907a.jpg

This Hen Barrows showed up without any boys. Another free pass
img12732.jpg

One more drake buffie
mg3113.jpg

The end of the day shot with one tired AWS. River had a blast today.
mg3272.jpg

Thank You for looking
Gary March

Last edited:
Great pictures. I really like that last one of the dog, decoys, and ducks all sitting in the boat with the hillside in the back. Thanks for sharing them.

Gary,
Awesome shots as usual. I like the birds in flight pics especially the buffie and red breasted mergansers. Glad you are getting some service out of those decoys. Thanks for posting the pics.

Rich

PS My wife is wondering what kind of camera you use?

Last edited:
Gary - Nice place to live, from the looks of it, and no shortage of different ducks visiting the spread ! How does the drop of water on the decoy bill in the first shot get to be blue ? I am sure the paint didn't run, maybe reflected up from the water ? Cool effect and as usual, a great view. The mergs look like fighter planes !
sarge

Sweet Gary. I love the Drake Buffy close-up with the head color showing up nicely in the shot. I need that 3002.8L. Next on my list.

Hitch

I think I heard you guys shooting from my house! There were a lot of birds flying up and down the lake yesterday morning. I think I'm gonna try and go down there tomorrow.

wow what a day ya could of had lots of ducks ???nice very nice pics,,just loved the tired dawg pic...

so now the question WHY dont you shoot the lawn darts ??? they are very pretty when full grown with cream breast feathers and green heads not to mention the feet there on fire with color.. and they taste good too....

i used a recipe i got from here and tweaked it and they turned out prety good so says my daughter as she likes them over all the other birds i brought home ,,i know ,but its true,, we used the the 3 day soaking salt water .milk, then pinapple juice and cooked them with pinapple and maple bacon wrapping them .....served with mix veggies and a chicken flavoured 6 kinds of wild rice....

thanks for keeping us in the loop loved it

shermie...

Spectacular photos as usual Gary - thanks for sharing. Buffies and whistlers are my favorite ducks by a long shot. The shot of the hen Barrow's is my favorite, all great pictures though. I'm looking forward to the ice melting and seeing all the black and whites back this spring.

Gary, are you head to the shot show in Las Vegas? My step mom works for the company that helps set up that show. My Dad and brother and sister will be wondering around there looking for door prizes/donations for their Scout troop for the Scholastic Steel Challenge(I think the official name is LV area BSA sporting clays and Smith and Wesson Steel Challenge) they are running in a couple weeks.

Back