Always had a thing for redheads....

Carl

Staff member
The one I chased around in college was shaped just a little different than these two : ) :0
[inline Redheads2.jpg ]

We hunted the salt again yesterday. Got a late start and didn't get setup until 9:00. By 10:00 I had two redheads, a greater scaup and a buffy. Could have shot a pile of 'bills and redheads, they were coming in the decoys in singles, pairs & groups up to 6-8. Not as many buffies in the area as last year.
We have more bluebills this year than I can remember seeing in the last 8 years. Very frustrating.
I plan to be back at it tomorrow & Friday as long as the winds dont pick up to bad.

View attachment Redheads2.jpg
View attachment Redheads2.jpg

Nice looking Redheads Carl! Do you think they would have given the one that you used to chase in College a run for her money???

I don't know, when I was 20, some other activities were on my mind a little more than duck hunting!

Those are some real beaut's. I have yet to boat a redhead.Stayed in the cabin during the MLB hunt with a bad back while Ryan Werden went out and shot a sweet drake.

Nice Carl,

We don't get many Redheads over on the Spacecoast here in Florida. The west coast of Florida does tough.

Hitch

Hitch,

I'd trade some redheads for a few flocks of prime bluewings! heck, I wish we'd get the ringers here like we used too.
Funny you should mention the W. coast: I've heard that there are large flocks of greater 'bill and redheads out in the open gulf in the Big Bend area feeding on the turtle grass beds out there. Miles from shore in 6-10' of water. I wonder if anyone hunts them???

Hey Carl,
Nice birds! I haven't seen any redheads up here in NJ; pretty scarce I guess. A lot of buffies and Brant though. The redheads are pretty birds. Did you hunt in the open (last post about hunting in the open) or up against the shore? Do you use many redhead decoys or does anything work?
Happy New Year,

Dave

If ya'll like redheads you should come to my neck of the woods. On most days redheads are about 90 percent of the ducks we decoy. Very large numbers winter in the Laguna Madre here and its not uncommon to see thousands of them moving in huge flocks through the day. They are a blast to hunt also.

Lee - after you see your chiropractor.....head over, we are shooting them just about every day. We are also seeing more blue bills than ever. We are shooting beautifully plumed greaters right now. Life is good!

Tom

One way to always have Red heads around is to marry one, especially one that cooks and duck hunts. We saw more of them on the river this year. The ones that fly.[inline "duck&chishmas04 001ee.jpg"]

Last edited:
I was set up close to the shore, maybe about 30' off a point. We have some spots where we are way out in the open water on shallow grass flats as well.
Had a dzn bluebill, dzn cans & dzn redheads dekes out plus a few GEs & buffies. The redheads will buzz about any spread but having some redhead dekes certainly helps to get them to commit.

Lee - after you see your chiropractor.....head over, we are shooting them just about every day. We are also seeing more blue bills than ever. We are shooting beautifully plumed greaters right now. Life is good!

Tom

Tom, I forgot you moved back North. Been hunting with Brent lately?

Back