Another Sunfish Build

David Roach

New guy here. Training the dog all year getting ready for duck season Just need a boat! I saw a bunch of Sunfish conversions and decided I could do that too. Always wanted to build a boat anyway. Plan is to chop a few feet off the back and build a sneak box for the salt marshes and rivers.

Got her home and started tearing her down for the build back up. As u can see she came with some extra spots to fix up.

IMG_4367.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg
IMG_4433.jpeg
IMG_4431.jpegIMG_4435.jpeg

Empty hull! Time to gather supplies! How much epoxy would you reckon I should order if I’m adding bulkheads, knees, and putting ply on for the deck, plus the repairs?

Have a great weekend all!

Cool project!
I have access to several old Sunfish hulls right now. I'd being doing the same but I just don't have anywhere to store another boat!

Got the stern cut down. This will be it for a week or two. Just got to get her inside the garage and out of the weather.

Measured back two feet and did my best to keep it square. Used a combination square to transfer the line down to the hull.
IMG_4443.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4446.jpeg

Not horrible :)

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 6
Might have the opportunity to get a free laser hull. It’s my understanding that hull is more suited to motor power? If so I might go with that instead. Pros vs Cons?

Thanks

Wow. Well done so far. Curious how much all the stuff you cut out and removed weighed.
I like the lines on the sunfish. The laser is round chine I believe. If you are OK with semi displacement speeds what you have will likely be a good hunting rig. But if your goal is faster then both original sailing shapes are going to have issues with excess power applied with a propeller at the stern vs from the lever arm of a sail. Great project for the Fall season with the new dog.

I didn’t weigh anything. But the empty hull is very easy to pick up and move. And I do think I’ll stick to the sunfish after thinking about it for a day.

Gauge

You may have searched the forum for previous sunfish conversions, but if not below is a link to one by Steve Sanford. It should get the creative juices flowing.

Back