Back up in case of engine failure?

John Robinson

Over the past fifteen years until last year when we commissioned my modified Devlin Cackler we used my buddies Snow Goose, and before that an aluminum Lund. In both the Lund and Snow Goose we had oars on board for emergency use, which came in handy twice over the years. Now I have my new Cackler and have only carried a pair of canoe paddles in case of emergency. The reality of it is we have never, (fingers crossed), had an engine failure with the Snow Goose (50 hp Merc), so I'm wondering about the need for oars.

My reluctance stems from resenting the stowage of oars full time, (they take up a lot of space on the Snow Goose) and hopefully never needing them. In this age of cell phones and friends with boats, I really think I'm going stick with the smaller canoe paddles under the deck idea. How about you guys? What if anything do you carry for man powered propulsion?

John

I carry a canoe paddle in my boat. A single paddle wouldn't do much to move my 16 foot boat. However, in addition to my 50 hp Mercury I have a 6 hp Johnson kicker. The kicker takes up room too, but it's good insurance. That plus a good anchor/line, a cell phone, and a marine radio would hopefully get us off the lake should the 50 hp fail.

As mentioned...all the electronics are good to have. As far as the oars, can you mount them outside the cockpit rail? Paint them to color of your boat and clamp or even u-bolt them to the deck, always there if you need but not in the way if you don't. Just a thought.

As mentioned...all the electronics are good to have. As far as the oars, can you mount them outside the cockpit rail? Paint them to color of your boat and clamp or even u-bolt them to the deck, always there if you need but not in the way if you don't. Just a thought.

That is about the only viable option, but I was planning on storing my decoys there. They are just so large and cumbersome I hate carrying them when I may never use them.

We did try paddling the boat with canoe paddles, and it moved surprisingly well with one guy on each side. We also carry a couple push poles that we use a lot, so they have to get stored as well.

John

You could get a collapsible oar Cabelas and Bass pro carry them. Me I have one regular oar that I keep stored on my boat. I usually use it to pole around in shallow water. Its nice to know that it is there just in case. A cell phone is great until you cant get a signal. I would find some way to store even a very small oar just in case.

Last edited:
I have a pair of rowing oars that I have mounted up under my deck. They stay out of the way and would be easy to get out and mounted if I needed them.

For a boat your size, what about carrying a small outboard as your backup? Not sure how far you are from the ramp but it's an idea. I believe Tod has a small backup motor in his rig. But he's hunting open water, not a river.

Ryan

cell phone and a good ol fashion paddle, but knowing my luck i would drop the phone in the water calling for help!

John,

My take is a paddle and a small kicker. I have a 3.5 hp nissan that is tiny and takes up little space. Works for me better than a set of real oars that would be hugely long if sized properly. The kicker is in the cockpit and tied in, it only goes on the transom when needed.

T

I have oars big enough that I can row my 16' deepV if I have to. It's no fun but it can be done. I've tried it before just to make sure I can row it. I also bring a trolling motor with me just in case.

Back