Bankes Dominator Jack plate?

Steve W

Hey, Just joined the forum here. Looks like a great spot! I have a Bankes Dominator with a yamaha 40hp, 4 stroke. Was wondering if anyone here has ever tried a Hyd. Jack plate on one of these? Thanks, in advance. Steve

Last edited:
Hey, Just joined the forum here. Looks like a great spot! I have a Bankes Dominator with a yamaha 40hp, 4 stroke. Wass wondering if anyone here has ever tried on Hyd Jack plate on one of these? Thanks, in advance. LP.
Hey, welcome to the site. I don't know much about jack plates but as you get familiar with the site you'll notice we use our names. Keeps it more personal and well, the second thread on the list talks about how we all agreed when signing up. Once you change to using your name I imagine you'll get a lot of replies. Have a great day.

Ed L. Please accept my sincerest apology. I make no excuses, it's my fault clearly, for not noticing, and reading the rules. I have requested to change my username, and It is currently in progress for approval. It's an awesome forum, and community you guys have built here, I read a lot here, and REALLY enjoy it, so I finally decided to join. Looking forward to being a proper member! Thanks in advance for your grace, on my mistake. You're a gentleman, and it's appreciated. Steve W.

Steve,

I have a Duckwrangler 15 with a hydraulic jack plate and it's great with my Suzuki DF40 mounted to it. Can get very skinny with it. Highly recommended.

Mike-SID has one on his duck invader 13, not to speak for him but I think he has the same opinion.

It will mount in the existing holes that your motor is currently attached to. Just remember to 5200 those holes when you take the motor off and mount the jack plate. Also I would recommend the aluminum bars that evenly distribute the pressure of the bolts as opposed to just mounting it with just the bolts. Might not be needed but it makes me feel better

Steve,

I have a Duckwrangler 15 with a hydraulic jack plate and it's great with my Suzuki DF40 mounted to it. Can get very skinny with it. Highly recommended.

Mike-SID has one on his duck invader 13, not to speak for him but I think he has the same opinion.

It will mount in the existing holes that your motor is currently attached to. Just remember to 5200 those holes when you take the motor off and mount the jack plate. Also I would recommend the aluminum bars that evenly distribute the pressure of the bolts as opposed to just mounting it with just the bolts. Might not be needed but it makes me feel better
Thanks Nick. Very appreciated.

I run a backplate on my Bankes Crusader. I love it. raise the engine and I can get in pretty shallow for a 19 foot glass boat. I did recently have a problem when I tilted my engine (115 hp) to full tilt while the backplate was all the way down. I ripped the hydraulic line fitting out of the hydraulic steering cylinder and was without steering. You shouldn't have any problem with a tiller steer motor. This was the first time in 15 years of operating this boat that I had this problem.

I run a backplate on my Bankes Crusader. I love it. raise the engine and I can get in pretty shallow for a 19 foot glass boat. I did recently have a problem when I tilted my engine (115 hp) to full tilt while the backplate was all the way down. I ripped the hydraulic line fitting out of the hydraulic steering cylinder and was without steering. You shouldn't have any problem with a tiller steer motor. This was the first time in 15 years of operating this boat that I had this problem.
Hey Brad, Thanks for your input and advice. Yes I have seen many of the bigger Bankes models with jack plates. See lots of the freedoms, crusaders, Goliaths, but Never seen a Dominator with one. I was wondering since my little dominator is so much narrower than the bigger boats, that it may put the weight of the motor back too far, and cause handling issues etc. with it. Was hoping somebody had tried it already, as it's a pretty costly "buy it and try it". lol.

Last edited:
Steve,

Yes,
I love the hydro jack plate. On my last trip, I discover a new trick. Simple concept just never thought of it. Before my jack plate, I would always tilt up the motor to run in shallow water like everyone else does. Since using the jack plate I only raised the motor up with the jack plate, and when it was too shallow, I would jump out and walk the boat in or pole around. Last trip, I raised the motor up, AND tilted the motor at the same time! What an advanced concept for someone like me. Hahaha. The result was I was able to motor in even shallower water than before, which is amazing. I had to lower the jack plate a bit to keep the prop in the water and water pumping. This saved me from walking the boat in the muddy bottom channel. I tell you, it doesn't take much to amuse me sometimes.

Back