Benelli Super Black Eagle

Anybody else have a problem with using Hevi-Steel Ammo in their Super Black Eagle. Gun started to Double feed and Jam. I stripped and cleaned it and put in a new recoil spring. Shot the gun with oil on rails and continued to jam. Cleaned it again then tried shooting it dry without oil on rails and still jams. Now it takes me a little longer than most people but then I looked at the Ammo. Other shells shot and re-cycled fine. Tried the Hevi-Steel again and back to square 1. It's 12 gauge 3inch 11/8 #4... Anybody else with this problem.

Not exactly. I have an SBEII and have not had any problems.

However, it seems that I've read of similar problems with the SBE that were fixed by Benelli.

I have had very quick and effective response from Benelli on Warranty claim so I would give them a shout and first effort at fixing the eject issue. I would also give the ammo manufacturer a call on that. Could be out of spec manufacturing on their part.

This is only my humble opinion, I believe the problem is timing per shell "load" shot.

Benelli has produced a fine form of a firearm in the SBE...I do not have one myself but would like one someday to add to my collection...The following are just some thoughts on inertia driven systems as well as possible gas driven shotguns that may resolve your problem...The next time you fire the gun shoot both rounds of heavy shot which jam as well as the shot load that is working fine on the gun...Take the two hulls and place them side by side...You may find that for some strange reason (I like to call it manufacturing variances in the process) that the hull size for your particular box of Heavy shot might be slightly longer than the shot load you are shooting that passes through the gun just fine...Inertia guns are particularly favorable to jamming if the hull size of the spent ammunition is around or above the max length range relative to the timing of the bolts distance traveled by the counter active response to the force produced by the ammunition. It is not uncommon even though some great engineers from Benelli created a wonderful fiream, that some number of guns produced will disappoint some consumer because marketing stated the gun could shoot a 3 1/2 high brass down to 2 3/4 low brass skeet loads. This is not entirely true or false unless you start shooting different ammunitions from various manufacturers in the same size load...For some "strange reason" MANUFACTURER 1, #2 shot shoots 1550 but a MANUFACTURER 2 of the same load size shoots 1300. It comes down to physics...The shot velocity at 1550 is throwing the bolt back faster with more inertia than the shot load velocity at 1300...Which in this case is the cases are of the same size you might have problem with the slower velocity shell... I would suggest you purchase multiple ammunitions of the shot range you will typically hunt with in various lengths...The same heavy shot you are shooting that is jamming may work just fine with a 2 3/4" length cartridge...You may find a load you don't particularly shoot in the case of length to be the best thing for your gun...Try not to frown on the idea of name brand...Form follows function in this case...Don't limit the purchase of your shells if you are testing the guns timing to one size length or higher priced shells...Timing seems to be the main issue with your gun...It has a sweet spot...You need to find it with fitting the shells length, velocity, and powder load that keeps it happy....

Best of luck,
Kristan

My bud had trouble with Hevi-steel not hevi-shot in his benelli. I've not had any trouble at all shooting anything 3" or 2 3/4" through my sludgomatic. Rem 11-87 ,if you don't keep the sludge out it doesn't matic. I'm inclined to think it's the dimension of the shells and not a problem with the gun. I had heard of several folks having trouble with the Hevi Steel last year. I don't know any lot numbers etc. but in your situation I might give Remington a call and find out if they think there are some problem shells. If Remington says they are having problems I would request that they replace the shells with someting that will work.

If they don't repond get a cardboard box and line it with about 6 mil plastic. put the shells in the box and then take a big dump on the shells, seal up the box and send it to Remington COD. It doesn't pay top piss Bubba off !

Later on,
Harry

my buddy has one == constant problems with it == but it does paddle the boat well when the motor fails

Hey George.....Tell your buddy I'll give him $50.00 to take that "paddle" off his hands :)

Better yet, I'll trade him a Beretta 390 ST with wood stock, 24" barrel. Gun has never failed me, I just love the way my brother's Benelli fits.

Donivan

Joseph,

My dad has a SBE2, his also double feeds and jams a lot. Benelli denied they had any problems. After a year of problems we sent it back and they sent him a new gun. He shoots Kent fast steel 3". It seems like some of the guns have the problem and some don't ??

My bud had trouble with Hevi-steel not hevi-shot in his benelli. I've not had any trouble at all shooting anything 3" or 2 3/4" through my sludgomatic. Rem 11-87 ,if you don't keep the sludge out it doesn't matic. I'm inclined to think it's the dimension of the shells and not a problem with the gun. I had heard of several folks having trouble with the Hevi Steel last year. I don't know any lot numbers etc. but in your situation I might give Remington a call and find out if they think there are some problem shells. If Remington says they are having problems I would request that they replace the shells with someting that will work.

If they don't repond get a cardboard box and line it with about 6 mil plastic. put the shells in the box and then take a big dump on the shells, seal up the box and send it to Remington COD. It doesn't pay top piss Bubba off !

Later on,
Harry

You'd have to pay a hazmat fee for shipping that.

It's possible that you have a batch of the original Hevi-Steel with rolled crimps. I believe there were quite a few folks that had problems with the original Hevi-Steel load -- even in 3.5" chamber guns -- because the final shell length was long.

I bought a case of 3" 1 1/8 oz #4 Hevi-Steel (new style with "star" crimps) this year and have not had a problem with my Xtrema 2.

I'd check the crimp first.

Wonder if anyone who had ammo trouble tried using a calipers on the unfired and fired shells.
I do a lot of work on Diawa and Penn fishing reels and have bought plastic calipers from northern tools for under $5.
Later on ,
Harry

Back