best value shotgun

brendan

i am looking to buy a new semi auto shotgun i was at cabelas today and i was intrested in the weatherby sa-08 and the remington 11-87 and a few ithaca semi auto shotguns and was wondering if these were good guns and would like other suggsetions top price about $650 thanks

I just got the mossberg 930 waterfowl in max-4 for christmas Its a great semi its comes with a lot that others don't for the price like 3 choke tubes the option for max 4 for under $650. The barrel is ported it shoots both 3in and 2 3/4in shells. Another thing I liked was the safty on mossbergs is on the receiver so you move it with your thumb. I read a lot of reviews on autoloaders under $700. The mossberg 930 had the best reviews between the 2 I was looking at the 11-87 and the 930 The mossberg 930 waterfowl fit my needs the best and it came with a lot more options that the 11-87 did not for the price. So far I am very happy with the 930. Hope this helps.

Chris, can it be had with a non-ported barrell? Can't shoot a ported barrell with partners! Took one to Maine for Eiders and had to sit by myself off tot he side and in front of the other guys!

Brendan,
Look at used guns.
If it is a major brand the parts are available and they are not hard to work on.
Can save a lot and most guys shoot very little in the gun.

Bob

Chris, can it be had with a non-ported barrell? Can't shoot a ported barrell with partners! Took one to Maine for Eiders and had to sit by myself off tot he side and in front of the other guys.

________________________________________________________________________________

Dave,
I am not sure. I would think that it would be an option. Not sure if all 930's come with the ported barrel or just the waterfowl. Look on cheaperthandirt.com that's where I read about it.

Chris hunted with me with his new Mossberg and there was no reason for hin to go sit by himself. Not that you're going to go far in a 2 man sneakbox.

I personally have an 11-87 Special Porpose that I've had for 10+ years and its my workhorse. Ducks, Geese, Pheasants, Turkey, Deer (Slugs & Buck Shot) and when I first got it LOTS of Trap and Sporting Clays. I know I easily have 10,000 rounds through the gun and its still BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! I've only had one mechanical break down. About 2 years ago the little ear, that the tray that bring up the next shell pivots on, craked. After that many shells I can't be mad. It is a little heaver than other guns, but because of that it is real soft shooting. My one suggestion is that you don't get the matte finish, especially if your hunting in the salt. I'm sending my out to get camo dipped come spring.

Chris, can it be had with a non-ported barrell? Can't shoot a ported barrell with partners! Took one to Maine for Eiders and had to sit by myself off tot he side and in front of the other guys!

The duckhunter's equilivant of sitting, facing the corner, wearing a pointy hat...

The duckhunter's equilivant of sitting, facing the corner, wearing a pointy hat...
Chuck exactly! Traded that gun away as I could only use it field hunting and even then seperated from the others some.... I don't blame them, hate to get my ears rung too!

My feeling is that you do not have an excellent chance at getting a new, long-lasting, and reliable watefowl autoloader for under a grand.

I'd buy a pump if I wasn't going to buy a Benelli or Beretta.

T

Thats easy, get a Berretta 390 from Walmart or Dicks.
The same gun as the original AL390 without all the shiny metal and no magazine cutoff. They dont shoot 3.5" shells butwho really needs 3.5" shells anyway???

I paid $520 back in 2003, 2 of my hunting buddies ran out & got them right after I did. They have performed flawlessly, easy to clean (but I dont but once a season other than wiping down to get saltwaterr off), and shoot great. Fantastic guns for the money. They sell for around $550 now.

Thats easy, get a Berretta 390 from Walmart or Dicks.
The same gun as the original AL390 without all the shiny metal and no magazine cutoff. They dont shoot 3.5" shells butwho really needs 3.5" shells anyway???

I paid $520 back in 2003, 2 of my hunting buddies ran out & got them right after I did. They have performed flawlessly, easy to clean (but I dont but once a season other than wiping down to get saltwaterr off), and shoot great. Fantastic guns for the money. They sell for around $550 now.

Geeze, are they really that inexpensive still? I stand corrected, and that is what I would buy if I didn't want 3 1/2"ers.

Last time I was in Dicks, I am pretty darn sure I saw that they were still under $600.00.
I need to run to Walmart at lunch, I will check there again.

Last time I was in Dicks, I am pretty darn sure I saw that they were still under $600.00.
I need to run to Walmart at lunch, I will check there again.

Wasn't doubting at all Carl, just talking out loud and amazed that they have been that price for that many years.

I think its still priced that low because Walmart (and now appearently Dicks) have a special agreement with Berretta to put the old 390 line back into production specifically to produce a quality value priced gun for them.

yup.... with a busted left shoulder/rotator cuff, a lifetime of shooting pump guns became an issue for me last season (i pump with my left hand, and i couldnt do it straight up). I was doing the same search, a $600 autoloader that i could shoot instead of work on. I was set on a beretta 390, until a friend texted me in august about a used superx2 he had for sale. Said he'd bring it to memphis and I could shoot it opening weekend of dove season and if I didnt like he'd get it back from me. Sold. $450 bucks, didnt always cycle dove loads but who cares... flawless this duck season... it jammed one time on a kent 3.5 bbb saturday, first time it jammed all season, but its the shells because 2 other guns jammed on shells out of the same box. Love it. Plenty of stuff adviable for it, and besides spraying out with remington gun stuff, and then break free clp, I havent spent a minute on it. Those exspurts are very dirty, so I spray it out fairly often, but I was doing that with my pump guns too. I still shoot an 870 dog training every day of the year that aint duck season, and I killed several geese with my 870 this weekend I had along with goose loads in it, but not pumping is cool. travis

I think its still priced that low because Walmart (and now appearently Dicks) have a special agreement with Berretta to put the old 390 line back into production specifically to produce a quality value priced gun for them.

Here's another 390 vote. Best value semi shotgun, IMHO. I got mine about the same time one buddy got a Stoeger 2000, another got an 1187, and a third got a Mossberg 935. That was 5 years ago, and I'm the only one who is still shooting the same gun happily. The only one who doesn't worry about having a back-up in the boat "just in case" too.

The only strike against it is that some folks don't like to shop at Walmart or Dicks, but, hey, the 390 is US-made, and you can't say that about the 391 you get the neighborhood gun shop.

That matte barrel will rust when exposed to salt, almost instantly, but it cleans up nicely with a little oil and an occasional buff with fine steel wool.

Well ill vote for my OLD A 303 beretta ,shoots 2 3/4 and 3 in ,has chokes tho i only use improved...

unless very dirty up in the ported area it will not cycle light skeet loads...a quick wipe and a lite rub with synthietic oil and away i go..
This reminds me of a time at a skeet shoot/sporting clay ,I missed on a shot due to not cycling ,took forearm apart wiped it down,cleaned it up and back together for the next station when my turn came ,the old fell beside me was impressed that i took a semi apart and it worked seeing how he always shot side by side..lol

Ive carried this fine gun since 1989 or 90 ,around then, tho im in canada i paid 400 for it and it was second had,the fella was leaving town and had just bought it the year before new ,i couldnt pass up a deal plus at the time i was trying to help him out and knew nothing of beretta`s then...Im real glad i did..thousands of rounds thru her and tho she isnt purdy she works just fine....

I put a coat of lous dead grass green on the barrel a few years ago and its still on there with a few chipped off rusty spaces between to give the proper camo effect for hunting the shorelines....

if you can find an old A303 id buy it surely to be under 600 now adays... ,,,

i wish i could find a smooth bore slug barrel for it as ive been hunting deer with it...around 20 inch long would be great...

good luck

shermie...

Last edited:
I've been shooting a DeHaan U1, which is similar to a CZ, a turkish gun for a couple seasons now and I've never had an issue with it.

From what I understand the DeHaans are imported from Turkey and the finish work is done in Idaho, but they are only doing custom guns now.

Back