Boat building cradle/table ideas needed

So I picked up a fiberglass sneakbox and it needs some fiberglass work done. I need ideas or pictures of what y?all are using to work on your boats. Something simple that I can put wheels on and maybe an area to store tools and materials under the boat. The simpler the better. Thanks!

davidwalton said:
So I picked up a fiberglass sneakbox and it needs some fiberglass work done. I need ideas or pictures of what y?all are using to work on your boats. Something simple that I can put wheels on and maybe an area to store tools and materials under the boat. The simpler the better. Thanks!

Right here on the main index is one example of what can be done. These are from Eric Patterson, he may have more photos of the cradle which he can share.

View attachment cradle.jpgView attachment camo1.jpg

Good morning, David~

I do not use a moveable bench - I just use a pair of sawhorses. I make a pair of fitted "chocks" for each boat, though. They are scribed to the hull sections - usually near the ends of the cockpit - and are padded with pipe insulation or pool noodles. I screw them to the horses with deck screws so they can be easily removed.

View attachment 2 Struts + Cross Spalls.jpg

A moveable bench is certainly handy. If I had a paved area right outside my shop, I would probably build one - very similar to Eric's. I would make it ~3' wide X 8' long and ~ 30 inches of the floor/ground. Instead of wheels at each corner, I might put just a pair at one end - maybe even make them out of 3/4-inch plywood bolted through a lower frame. I would make the wheels about 12" diameter. The whole rig could be moved like a wheel barrow, lifting just one end when needed.

On a level shop floor or very smooth driveway, commercial casters are a fine choice.

All the best,

SJS

Back