Boat Meets The Road

Steve Hoover

I just got back from getting this boat. I want to show what can happen in just a split second. We all use the single back straps and rely on them to a degree. This boat hit the road slid through the median and back on the East bound lane. The very fortunate thing is that there weren't any casualties or other vehicles involved. The driver was not cited, due to a car that caused the accident and fled the scene.

The truck spun 180, the back straps broke, the winch stand was torn from the trailer, the boat was thrown off the trailer.

Here is a picture of the torn straps

DSC03362.jpg

Here is the boat on the highway.

23digsdirt.jpg

Here is the trailer at the wrecking yard.

DSC03358.jpg

The one thing that I will implement to every future boat will be a full ratchet strap that will go to the trailer and across the stearn. I saw another boat on my way back that hit the pavement. I will never trust the single straps again. This post is to strictly show the damages that can occur. I am sure that the truck driver that almost hit the boat was saying his prayers.

Best of gunning,

Steve H.

Last edited:
God was looking out for you. I appears that the boat survided the ordeal with out too much damage. It could have been a disater. when things like this happen just regroup, count your blessings and start your day over again

Hey Hoover,
Darn what a mess, but it coulda been a lot worse. We all probably use or have used those straps. You have convinced me to go with a heavy duty ratchet set up on the stern and a better method to secure the bow to the trailer frame and not just the jackstand.
Glad you weren't hurt,
Harry

A friend of mine once was pulling his jon boat down the highway and the strap from the winch broke. The boat basicallt did a wheelie, endo, back flip. All the decoys and other gear went flying over a couple of hundred yards. The gas tank went flying and somehow did not ignite. I think the engine was a loss. Fortunately, no other vehicles were involved. The cars behind saw it develop and were able to slow enought to just sit back and enjoy the show.
You just never know how quickly a disaster can happen until it strikes. Stay safe.

WOW! How lucky was the owner that the motors were up enough to keep off the pavement! He's got some serious $ sitting in the passing lane of that highway.

Almost the same thing happened to me several years ago. A pickup crossed the center line and forced me onto the shoulder. The trailer swung out toward the ditch and I swerved back on the road. The winch strap AND safety chain broke and the boat flew way out into the ditch. The motor was knocked clear off the boat and a couple holes in the hull. All was repaired in a few days and back hunting the next weekend. It does happen fast, my dog never even woke up until we stopped. One casualty was my voice- I screamed at the other driver until I lost my voice, nothing like a little terror to make you appreciate life.

Last edited:
The jam fitting didn't fail did it? Wasn't it the strapping?

Size nylon strap - the small 1" or so strapping?

I use strapping that is 2" wide.

i got forced off the road once with my 17 lund -- i had two 2" black straps on the back - the trailer went over a curb and both straps broke but the winch strap and safety chain on the bow held -- my guess was that if it weren't for the two stern straps absorbing all the energy, although breaking - i would have lost the boat

I see a winch strap for the bow, but cant see a safety chain that would attach to the bow as well. Was there one? If so it should be attacehd to the frame (not the bolt on winch) and would have held likely held that boat on the frame. When people just rely on the winch strap, they are relying on a cog and usually no more than a 1/4 inch of steel tooth.

If the bow eye broke, that would be a completly diferent story. Bow eyes should be one of the strongest portions of any boat - IMO.

Boy, It looks like everybody got lucky on this one. It doesnt look like any damage to the boat, although the trailer looks trashed. I use a 2 1/2" wide Cargo tie down strap with a very heavy ratcheting system attached. I wrap it over the stern and under the trailer and ratchet it down tight. I have been in some pretty close calls and never had the rig so much as budge.

I know it just changed my tie down regimen....which up to "right now" had been big boat, single straps in the back.....they'll be a 4" wide ratchet strap over that bad boy from now on........

Steve

Wow, thanks for sharing. I plan to get a wider tie down strap. I try to do all the right things but every time I hook up the boat I think about all the shit that can go wrong with the bearings, tires, straps, lights,etc. Trailers pretty much suck. The whole business is a black art. Everything is OK until it isn't.

Thanks for your concern everyone. Again, This is to be an informational piece. I firmly believe that every boat that weighs more than 500 pounds should have the ratchet straps.
The back straps were torn and the front winch strap was as well. The safety chain was ripped through the steel and stayed on the front bow eyes.

Here is a picture showing the bow hook and safety chain dangling from the welded bow eye.

23hitspavement.jpg

Here is a picture of the winch stand which was ripped off the trailer. Look at the U bolts.

DSC03375.jpg

Here is another angle of the stand.

DSC03378.jpg

Steve H.

I'll give a grand right now for the whole rig!!!!! Thanks for the info, I need to stop at Cabela's on the way home and get some straps!!
Jim Bucko

I've been around a lot of boats being towed, some of them much bigger than the boats we tow for hunting, and I have never seen more than a single thickness strap either over the gunnels or two in the stern. I just wondering if sometimes things aren't meant to break free under the right circumstances.... If my boat had enough momentum to reach the other lane, I think I would rather have it there than have had it drag my truck there with it...

Just a thought....

I doubt if it would have helped with all the mass involved, but considering upgrading the U-bolts on the winch stand to grade 8 hardened bolts. All the steel being held together with these bolts is mild steel so it might not change anything.

I have always used a single strap over the stern of the BBIII because it was the easiest thing to do. However, I am going to change from the snowmachine/ATV strap to a more heavy duty strap. The old one has enough UV damage that it is pretty week anyway and needs to be retired to holding the snow tarp on the boat.

Just to confirm that when things get hairy the tongue and winch tower CAN NOT be relied on to hold the boat in place. When I was run off the road with the Lund the tongue failed miserably leaving the tower hanging from the bow by the chain and strap. Here's a shot with it swung back out of the way ready to pull her up on a flat bed for the trip home.

View attachment twisted tongue.jpg

When I described the failure to the Dealer's mechanic, he knew right where the tongue failed. This is the common failure point!

Scott

Back