Broadbill Motor

JustinC

To all the Broadbill owners: I am planing on building a Broadbill this summer. I currently own a 3hp Johnson that pushes my 16ft canoe I hunt out of. Just wondering if that same 3hp would push the Broadbill. I dont go to far, and never in a real rush. I have been looking into buying a used 9.9, as anything 10hp and up in Ontario has to be registered etc. Any thoughts?

Justin,

I built a Devlin Broadbill and pushed it with a Merc 9.9. Mid 20's with load on the GPS. I would think a 3hp would push you around like an electric trolling motor. Might be ok for a small stream or very protected small pond/lake on short runs. I would recommend going with the 15 or the 9.9. Good luck with your build and post up some pictures along the way.

Ryan

My buddy has a 9.9 Nissan on his, I put a 20 Honda on mine. If I recall, his pushed the boat along at 16mph with a load on the GPS. I get about 25 (gps) out of mine under load. Like you said, you're not going far, so I think the 9.9 would be a decent choice, especially considering registration issues.

Good luck.

Justin,
Ryan pretty much laid it out. I have a Devlin Broadbill and used to run an '83 9.8 merc (which was under the old horsepower rating, so it is more like a newer 7.5hp, I'm told). That engine would give me 16 mph under hunting load, and 18mph + with just me in the boat. It really did a fine job getting the boat up on plane and to hunting spots. A trolling moter will push the broadbill along ok, but is not very fast and obviouisly will not get it on plane. I did buy an evinrude 3hp at a yard sale, with the intention of using it if I ever had access to a small, shallow marsh, but have not found a hunting area like that, yet. Have not even fired the 3HP up. Right now I am running a Yamaha 15hp on the boat, and it moves at 25mph under any load (RPMs are maxed out). I believe swapping the stock prop for one with more pitch would gain a few mph, but 25mph skimming the water while sitting in a 10' Broadbill is exciting enough for most folks.

Enjoy the build!

-Bill

Am I the only one thinking a used 15 hp with a new 9.9 decal and camo paint? Basically the same motor anyway.

Am I the only one thinking a used 15 hp with a new 9.9 decal and camo paint? Basically the same motor anyway.

If you are looking for a citation that is a sure fire way to get one. DNR officers never go by the decals anyway. They will be looking at the serial and model numbers. If you have slapped an improper decal on it, there is no way they are going to give you a warning. They will be writing a citation.

Scott,

My concern would be when you go to have your home built boat certified by the DNR they might have a look at the plate on the motor. In Ohio you need to have the DNR inspect and certify before they will give you your HIN. You could borrow your buddies 9.9 and then put the 15 on...

Ryan

I found my 9.9 to be under powered. worked OK when empty but after a few trips into the water from the dog and full gear, I could really notice a difference. i would go 15hp min and get the boat registered ect.

that said, I am now running a 9.5hp. it doesn't have enough power either but was free and it works.

Oops... I may have made a mistake here, which is common for me. My buddy and I have the Clark Craft 14' Broadbill kit - it's rated for a 20hp. I'm guessing my earlier post was of no value. Sorry about that.

Justin,
it will move it. (3hp) It wont be fast but it will beat oars. It wont push the bow up hard most likely, but you will go faster than rowing.
If your spots are close and you dont mind leaving a little early you will be hunting, and you will have a lighter rig which will draw less water.

If you find after that you want to go faster and come into cash, get a bigger one.

I have an older 7.5 merc,,,,and I am thinking of building a Devlin Bluebill..I assume maybe 12-18 mph depending on load? any comments?

matt

For my Devlin Broadbill, my "goes along ok" motor is a 1969 era, 9.5hp Johnson. My "let's get up and go!" motor is a 2003 Yamaha 15hp.
I think using a 3hp on that hull would be frustrating, at best, IMHO.

Best,
Brian F.

Kurt,
cool video. Those old Evinrude motors are the coolest 15.

That pretty much firms up my thought that the 3hp will push the boat to get a guy hunting. It wont Rock but will get you there.

I worked on commercial boats where 8 knots was fast. You get there at 5 knots it just takes a while.

Scott, if you are talking about a Johnnyrude just pick up a 9.9 and buy the main jet for a 15. The only difference is just the main jet on that motor. The jet is cheaper than the decal, i think.

Back