Building the DHmini....

Brad Taylor (NC)

Well, I decided to start on the DHmini for a gentleman from VA at the same time I'm working on a DH for a gentleman from NY and it seems like its going to work out nicely. Makes for a little less room in the shop but I can deal with it for the time being.

The mini is going to be a little over 11' long and the widest point on the rail is around 42". I'm really excited to be working on it as I think its going to be a slick little rig. Weight should come in around 100lbs, making it possible to run a trolling motor or small outboard. One of the B&S 5hp would work nicely.

Its going to be outfitted with LEDs, bilge and navigation lights all powered from a small 12v sealed battery. The floor will be sprayed with bedliner and the running seat will double as a back rest. Once the blind doors are attached it will be hunted much like a field layout blind.

Here's some pictures of the progress thus far, I started on 2 boats last Friday so things are moving right along...a few late nights included.

WebDSC_0430.jpg

WebDSC_0431.jpg

WebDSC_0432.jpg

WebDSC_0433.jpg

WebDSC_0435.jpg

I'll post more pictures as she progresses, feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, I will/would be very interested in what you use for the electrics in this boat. I have been thinking about using the LED on my BBSB that I am rebuilding.... assuming I don't happen upon an electric start 15hp cheap, I'll use the pull start and was thinking about a small 12volt too. For my needs, I was thinking of 4 LED white lights under the fore and aft decks, and a pair under the sides to light the shelves. That might be overkill? Also need to add navigation lights, but I have not seen many choices for them in LED. Only found battery powered clamp on so far. Was actually thinking of using individual green/red lights on the bow, and letting them into the rub rail so they are not exposed to impact damage?

Is there anything special about the battery? ATV/Lawn tractor battery OK to use?

TIA, Dave

Cool little boat.
Please keep us up to date with pics, I'm interested in how this one turns out.

Brad, I will/would be very interested in what you use for the electrics in this boat. I have been thinking about using the LED on my BBSB that I am rebuilding.... assuming I don't happen upon an electric start 15hp cheap, I'll use the pull start and was thinking about a small 12volt too. For my needs, I was thinking of 4 LED white lights under the fore and aft decks, and a pair under the sides to light the shelves. That might be overkill? Also need to add navigation lights, but I have not seen many choices for them in LED. Only found battery powered clamp on so far. Was actually thinking of using individual green/red lights on the bow, and letting them into the rub rail so they are not exposed to impact damage?

Is there anything special about the battery? ATV/Lawn tractor battery OK to use?

TIA, Dave

Dave,

I actually sell the LEDs. After using china crap for a couple of years I finally got fed up and contracted out with a US manufacture some LEDs for me. In the past 5 or so years, his product has come a really long way. Its now only 3/8" wide and a 1/4" tall with self adhesive tape already attached. They are waterproof to 15' and in durable housing. I carry them in red, green, and white. Here's what the actual LED looks like...
NEW_LED2.jpg

Here's a shot of them at work, pitch black and no external light...
DH2%20LEDs%201.jpg

If you're interested in them, you can order them here, http://www.tollerboatworks.com/LED Strip Lights.html I hope that doesn't come across as spam but I'm really high on these lights versus the comparable ones on the market.

As for the battery, I'm using one of the small 12v sealed lead acid batteries like used to power a deer feeder. You could easily have two and keep one charged where you swap them out as one dies down. Also in the boat I just built, the gentleman put a pull start motor on it and didn't need a full size battery. He opted for a motorcycle sealed battery which was a little heavier but nice.

Thanks,
Brad

TIA, Dave

The lights that Brad has look great, but I will say that I put LEDs under the deck and in all compartments and I hardly ever use them. They look super cool and I was very excited about the prospect, but a headlamp is vastly superior in that it throws more light where you need it and a headlamp doesn't ruin your night vision. I have the LEDs there and they can be on with the flick of one switch, but I never go to the effort. Everyone I hunt with brings and uses their own headlamp so it is never an issue.

As far as nav lights, there are LED nav lights, I thought about putting them in but at the time I built my boat it would have been over $200 vs conventional.

Are there plans available for this boat? I like it, it would suit my needs perfectly. I've been torn between building a Devlin Broadbill, KARA Hummer, and trying to design my own boat. I hunt alone, have only a 6hp motor, 1 dog and not many decoys to my name (4 dozen), and want something I could lay down in. The last few years I've been using a little 12' jon boat with my 6hp and carrying along my laydown blind and hiking in with it and my decoys and then having to go hide the boat, mostly on islands. It'd be nice to pull the boat right into the tules and hunt out of it, or hunt in the middle of the river late in the season.

V. interesting.
I used to make fun of my buddy and his head lamp for bass fishing.
Now that I own one I have to make sure I dont forget it cause I cant get by without it.
Had to track a deer over a mile last year and it was LED all the way.
I still like the idea of the boat lighting. but todd is right if the budget is tight.
Nav lights in LED are cool but way to many dollars yet. Give it a year or so.

Todd
do you have any photos of the new project?

V. interesting.
I used to make fun of my buddy and his head lamp for bass fishing.
Now that I own one I have to make sure I dont forget it cause I cant get by without it.
Had to track a deer over a mile last year and it was LED all the way.
I still like the idea of the boat lighting. but todd is right if the budget is tight.
Nav lights in LED are cool but way to many dollars yet. Give it a year or so.

Todd
do you have any photos of the new project?

What project Bob? I have too many I guess.

Tod,

I've got them in all of mine and love them. Nothing like lighting it up in there to find what you're looking for, especially if its looking for your headlamp :). I'm not worried about my night vision as I'm not using them while running. Its more of the setting up, especially running longlines out of the Hellcat. And a headlamp does throw more light than most of the LED products out there. For instance, the Seasense uses a very narrow broadcast angle, close to 50 degrees whereas the lights I've got have a 150 degree broadcast. Couple that with each nexLED having 3 diodes for a total of 9 in the light vs 6 in 3" seasense and a whiter hue, there is a huge difference. I totally agree on the nav light setup, way too much money right now.

Brad

Tod,

I've got them in all of mine and love them. Nothing like lighting it up in there to find what you're looking for, especially if its looking for your headlamp :). I'm not worried about my night vision as I'm not using them while running. Its more of the setting up, especially running longlines out of the Hellcat. And a headlamp does throw more light than most of the LED products out there. For instance, the Seasense uses a very narrow broadcast angle, close to 50 degrees whereas the lights I've got have a 150 degree broadcast. Couple that with each nexLED having 3 diodes for a total of 9 in the light vs 6 in 3" seasense and a whiter hue, there is a huge difference. I totally agree on the nav light setup, way too much money right now.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks, interesting to hear your perspective. I seldom need light of any sort when I'm putting out decoys and find that no light is better than light in the cockpit. Setting longlines would be the last time I would want a cockpit light on, you seem happy so you must have a good system.

T

Tod, I really like them for fishing and cat fish jugging as well. On a somewhat related note, I read through your post on "what I've been up to", some great work pictures and narrative there. Did you have the interceptor plates fabricated or did you order them? Regardless, very nice work on the snow goose and the big ol' dish with all the clams :)

Brad

Tod, I really like them for fishing and cat fish jugging as well. On a somewhat related note, I read through your post on "what I've been up to", some great work pictures and narrative there. Did you have the interceptor plates fabricated or did you order them? Regardless, very nice work on the snow goose and the big ol' dish with all the clams :)

Brad

Thanks, mounting plates were all home made. Sized according to what I could glean from Volvo's interceptors (but mine obviously dont' adjust on the fly). I conned my dad into drilling and tapping the plates, since he was a tool and die maker as a youngster. Although he didn't complain too much, I don't think tapping those holes was much fun. The couple holes I drilled by hand in the 304SS were pretty aweful.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
I conned my dad into drilling and tapping the plates, since he was a tool and die maker as a youngster. Although he didn't complain too much, I don't think tapping those holes was much fun. The couple holes I drilled by hand in the 304SS were pretty aweful.

Tod,
You scoundrel you! Probably the only reason he didn't complain, is that doing it himself the first time, was easier than removing a busted tap when somebody else ( close to him but younger) attempted the job.

I just ran a bunch of stainless pieces at work. Forty four tapped holes in each one. What a PITA
[/font]

Thanks a lot Brad! That's gonna be a cool little boat! I think I'm going to buy the plans for the DH and start going over them. Seems like it's pretty easy to change a few things and customize it. Do you fillet all the joints on the inside and glass the whole exterior like other boats on here?

Thanks a lot Brad! That's gonna be a cool little boat! I think I'm going to buy the plans for the DH and start going over them. Seems like it's pretty easy to change a few things and customize it. Do you fillet all the joints on the inside and glass the whole exterior like other boats on here?

Yep, filet all the joints and glass the exterior. If you have any questions once you get started just drop me a line.

Brad

Hey Bob,
We just replaced all the Bulbs in a sailboat (36') with LED for short cash, and cut the amp
draw by more than 50%. I thought considering the life of LED's it was a real good investment.
REALLY made sense on the mast light at $50.00/trip for the rigger to go up.

http://www.ledtronics.com/.

Brad,
I will be in touch regarding those light strips, nice stuff and they look perfect for
some areas on that sailboat that could use some extra light.

Last edited:
Here's a few more pics. Stepped on the scales with it this morning it was framed in except for the front dividers and the cockpit braces (the knees were already in place) and it weighed in at 85lbs so it looks like the final product will be closer to 120-130 but still a managable boat by one man.

Both the front and rear compartment will sectioned off and the outer sections will be filled with expandable foam for emergency floatation. The transom is solid as a rock!

WebDSC_0001-1.jpg

WebDSC_0002.jpg

WebDSC_0003.jpg

WebDSC_0004-1.jpg

WebDSC_0005-1.jpg

I went with 3 keel strips, once center and two that run from bulkhead to bulkhead.
WebDSC_0006.jpg

Brad

Back