building two broadbills

jeff tarr

Last edited:
I have been thinking about building a broadbill myself(for about 2 years).Just got two new properties to hunt on the shore that would be perfect for the broadbill.Where did you get your ply from? I know clc in annapolis sells it and i think harbor sales in Suddlersville does.Hope to see more pics of your builds.

Im located by Wye mills and hunt mostly marshland I thought the broadbill would b perfect.Im going to put a 7hp copperhead on mine so I can run shallow .I ordered the plywood from harbor sales in suddlersville and they delivered it to my front door.

Thanks jeff,i thought they still sold it.I am planning on the same use for the broadbill.I can't get my bigger boat back in the marsh and flooded areas where we are hunting next year.

Looks good, keep us posted! You may want to rethink going with the Copperhead as in my experience hulls like the Broadbill's don't do well with a surface drive-they don't like V and rocker in a hull. I tried to run a Dixie surface drive on my Black Brant 3 and could never get it to run right-but when I put it on a sneakboat that I built with a flat bottom in the rear and no rocker it would hit 25mph. A mini longtail will move the Broadbill right along though-I had my eye on the 10hp from Backwater, they look like a sweet little motor!

Thanks,building my own boat has been on my bucket list for a while now so im really exited about the build.I just ordered the copperhead today,I realize its not the best hull design for top performance,I don't have long distances to run.I have a 15 Yamaha for that.Next year im planning on building a smaller version of the gator wooden duck boat its got a flat bottom.Building the wood part I think will go smooth I think ,fiberglass is all new to me.My gunnin partner built a boat last year so he is showing me the ropes on that.

Back