Built a home bird plucker and processing station

Cody Williams

Hey guys, after years of talking and thinking about it I finally decided to build a home bird plucking system. Besides being avid bird and waterfowl hunters my family raises and processes between 20-30 meat chickens a year so we end up doing a ton of bird plucking, a lot of times I just take the breasts and legs of my ducks but having a nice fat bird to roast is really nice. This usually involves hand plucking the bird and singing off the pinfeathers, this takes me about a half hour for a duck and usually an hour or so for a goose.

I looked around online and found a bird plucking drum that fits into a power drill, I bought that and also bought a cheap Harbor Freight variable speed drill for about $30. I built a frame for the drill and wired a switch into the power cord, and attached the drill to the frame by pulling the screws out of the drill body and using some burly exterior screws through the holes to attach the drill to the frame, and I made up an L bracket and bolted it into the threaded hole for the drill handle.
oAJBKvc.jpg

Here's a closeup of the drill handle, notice the high tech speed control :).
UxxBQwf.jpg

I bought a cheap folding table and cut a hole in it to fit over a trash can, after a few trial runs I used some spare plexiglass and plywood I had to make a hood to cover everything. I wear my woodworking apron and a hooded jacket and use my body to block the opening, it seems like about 90% of the feathers go into the trash can. Definitely and outside job!
6UhaVUt.jpg

Here's a group of birds I plucked this morning, I had a teal, pintail, pair of mallards, and a bluebill and I figured that was a good mix of birds to try out this thing's capabilities. I snip off the feet and the wings at the elbow joint, no pre-plucking is necessary, this thing takes them down to bare skin in a heartbeat! I found a big duck takes 4-5 minutes to do, quite an improvement over doing it by hand! It took me probably 45 minutes start to finish to have all 5 ducks plucked, gutted, and ready to age, not bad at all! Only thing I've found to be careful about is that if the birds have shot holes in their skin the plucker can grab them and tear the skin as you can see on one of the mallards, but other than that it works like a charm.
YvsSmaX.jpg

That's great!

I just started duck hunting but was already saying I need a cleaning station. That plucker looks like it does a great job too and is my main desire.

Last edited:
Cody

That's a great build you did. I've seen some finger and mandrel kits and wondered what the best rpm is for plucking feathers. Any ideas what rpm you're spinning your plucker and does is feel "ideal"?

I've thought it would be kind of funny to install a plucker in a blast cabinet [cool] [cool] [cool].

Eric Patterson said:
Cody

That's a great build you did. I've seen some finger and mandrel kits and wondered what the best rpm is for plucking feathers. Any ideas what rpm you're spinning your plucker and does is feel "ideal"?

I've thought it would be kind of funny to install a plucker in a blast cabinet [cool] [cool] [cool].

Eric,

As I looked at Cody's build, my thoughts were; Put a panel across the front with long sleeve rubber gloves installed. Yes, same as a small sandblasting cabinet.

Makes me wonder how a shop dust collector would do sucking up the feathers? I'll let you try that and report back! [whistle]

Huntindave McCann said:
Eric Patterson said:
Cody

Eric,

As I looked at Cody's build, my thoughts were; Put a panel across the front with long sleeve rubber gloves installed. Yes, same as a small sandblasting cabinet.

Makes me wonder how a shop dust collector would do sucking up the feathers? I'll let you try that and report back! [whistle]

Dave

Yep, that's what I was thinking. The gloves would be overkill but funny. As for using dust collection feathers are probably no problem. It's the sticky little bits of flesh I'd want to keep out of the system.

Eric

Thanks guys! I know that in some industrial bird processing places they have something similar hooked up to a dust collector for harvesting down, that would be pretty convenient. I think I will have a dedicated plucking jacket and apron, I use my body to block the opening and your front gets pretty downy haha. Also if you have any whiskers they are like a magnet for down, I suddenly became a graybeard when I did my first ducks. I don't know the exact RPM but I'd say it's about mid speed on that drill, that seems to be the sweet spot.

Paul-I didn't singe these, it pulls the pinfeathers out too so there really isn't any need. About the only feathers it has trouble with are the ones that are along the first wing bone, you could singe those off but since there really isn't any meat on that bone I will usually just trim the skin and feathers off of it.

Last edited:
Great setup! I remember days of plucking ducks when my thumb would cramp up! I'd have loved to have a plucking machine like that back then!

A friend and I built one several years ago for our duck hunting camp. Since that is on the edge of the marsh, we just mounted it at the end of a 2x6 and set it on 2 saw horses. The feather collection system is the breeze, or the next storm moving through, which blows them out to wherever they may go. Here is one tip for the future-we used an old 110 electric motor and put a drill chuck on the shaft to secure the plucker head, which was similar to yours. The addition of a rheostat to the motor would make it variable speed, but it doesn't seem to be an issue so we've never done it. So if your drill burns out, go to Grainger or somewhere like that and replace it with a motor you can just plug in to a socket.

Cody Williams said:
We had a couple plucked roasted canvasbacks for dinner Sunday night, man they were good!

In my world just breasting birds is a waste of very good meat.

It's the way I was brought up, and it stuck.

Just a suggestion.

After the meal, save the carcass's with some meat on the bones. Re roast the carcass's. Then make some stock with them for good duck, veggie & Barley soup/chowder.

Get creative as ya want, add what you desire.

A piping hot bowl, after a cold day outdoors is a wonderful reward.

"Waste not want not."

VP

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Cody Williams said:
We had a couple plucked roasted canvasbacks for dinner Sunday night, man they were good!

In my world just breasting birds is a waste of very good meat.

It's the way I was brought up, and it stuck.

Just a suggestion.

After the meal, save the carcass's with some meat on the bones. Re roast the carcass's. Then make some stock with them for good duck, veggie & Barley soup/chowder.

Get creative as ya want, add what you desire.

A piping hot bowl, after a cold day outdoors is a wonderful reward.

"Waste not want not."

VP
That sounds delicious Vince, I'm also a big fan of duck legs, there is a lot of good meat on there that a lot of guys ignore. Your barley soup sounds great, I think I'll try it out and add some spicy elk sausage.......just the thing for a cold winter day!

Back