Camo Painting?

Jesse

Anybody have any links to the various camo painting techniques? Seems like the basics are either large blocks of color or detailed stencils of grass, tules, etc. I hunt mostly grassy marshes.
Thanks,
Jesse

I prefer large patches of color. I look to immitate shadows. I also think "dark" stands out less than "light". I read a tip years ago in a Duck's Unlimited magazine article that recommended painting the inside of blinds and duckboats flat black.

Jesse:

Go to WalMart or similar and get a bunch of plastic leaves or grass or whatever pattern you like. Then hold some up against the boat and spray black or contrasting color. It leaves a shadow. You can paint an overall light color for grass and then "stencil" on a darker over the background leaving the light colored grass "shadow". Fun to play with on some scrap plywood and then you can get the pattern you want. Also, this way is extremely easy to touch up as all you do is go ver the area with your plastic leaves again with the cover paint. It is also way cheaper than stencils. If i can find a pic of the right size, i'll post one of mine.

If ya' live near a graveyard you can get all the free stencils you want from the fake ferns and leaves that are thrown away.

Is this kinda morbid??

Last edited:
GaryRi...The military uses such technique and I think it is a sound one, but I have no idea as to how to go about doing it successfully on a small duck boat?

tgentry...I like your idea for stencils. I'm begining to think that large blocks of colors with stenciled leaves and grass over them might be the way to go.

I'm probably not going to go to the graveyard in my small town of 500 year round residents to pick up materials for stencils, [can't do anything in a small town that would go un-noticed] but it's a very creative idea, heh, heh. :) :)

I still need help with the shapes of the large blocks of color, how to place them on the boat (ie. lighter or darker on top or bottom, bow or stearn, what colors to use, etc., etc. I have picked up the Rustoleum camo colors; brown, green, tan and black. I'm totally willing to get more or different colors if needed to make this paint job a success.

I'll take pics of the little skiff tomorrow night and try to figure out how to post them?? I think my wife can help as she posts pics of our dogs on her Lab Forum. Hope to prime by thursday eve.

I used the big pattern with alot of contrast, I think the little grass and leaf patterns become a "blob" at any distance.

Here is my latest paint job.
IMG_1154.jpg

This one shows it breaking up the boat shape.
IMG_1164.jpg

Jesse

Re: Rustoleum. My favorite too. If you can get use of a compressor, China made paint guns from a place like Home Depot or an automotive supply store are pretty cheap. Paint out of a can is cheaper/tougher than rattle cans.

I personally would lay on a base of flat black over the entire boat (I undercoat my decoys with black too), then let it "tack" dry and just start with one color & block out three or four 24 x 24 to 18 x 18 inch "blobs. Then move to colors number two and three. If the paint "blends" a little no big deal.

If you don't have use of a compressor, you brush on the base coat & the the "blobs".

You are breaking up your outline. In the field where YOU hunt if the colors/pattern don't seem quite right to you, scuff with a pad & correct later.

Jesse, what shannon and chris did on their boats was to copy the idea of the styx river stencils using plasic "for sale" signs for the stencil materials. The made a shadow grass like system. shannon even did his jeep. The back ground is a dark flat color that the boat already had on it. Then a darker brown/black vertical squiggle line pattern for the "bark". Then a grass pattern using two tones of light green and light tan paint. They came out alright but from a distance, like most modern camo patterns, they are just solid dark blobs amoungst the green/yellow grass. The pics on here of the duckhunter with the large odd shapes is a good idea for breaking up the outline of the boat.

I too did a little fee handing on our Barney

07septtooct147.jpg

i drew out a stencil then used 2 or 3 shades of camo on the stencil and if i stagarded the stencil a little bit i got a shadow effect with a darker or lighter camo..

07septtooct146.jpg

here it is with the grass blind on it
07firstsnow7incheshuntingpicswit-12.jpg

that bottom picture with the boat against the back is a great shot. This shows how the large camo pattern does really break up the outline of the boat.. nice job...

Back