Chesapeake hunting

Is anyone else huntingthe Chesapeake Bay or its tributaries? I'm just getting into it and need advice as the late season is on its way!

Bryant-You are going to have to narrow it down a little. Since you said Chesapeake Bay, I assume you mean Virginia (Cheaspeake bay starts at VA border, where the susquehanna river ends). What type of advice are you looking for?

You know, I thought of that, but us Marylanders are so posessive of the bay that we forget that you guys have most of it. I'm in northern Maryland near the Susquehanna, but may hunt as far south as Hart-Miller Island (just below Baltimore).

I have a 16' flat-bottom boat with a blind on it, but need to upgrade. I want to hunt the bay (where it gets a bit rough), but also the back waters, which are shallow (1-2 feet). Plus I want to hunt 3 guys at a time and don't know what I shuld be looking at in the way of boats. Maybe I just want too much!

Hello,

I have hunted the Eastern shore for 10 years. A great place to go is Deal Island. There is an impoundment that limits the number of hunters but you can hunt the tidal side all you want. Good Luck. Its on the DNR webside if you have any questions for them. I am now in SD and loving it.

B,

I'm a VA resident (northern VA), but I hunt in MD too. I"ve hunted the Patuxant, lower Potomac and some on eastern Shore backwaters. started out with a 15' modified-V aluminum jon; traded it for a 14ft TDB classic. Although I don't hunt the open waters of the bay, i would feel comfortable doing so in the TDB under most conditions, but not in a flat bottom jon. one wave over your bow could swamp you. The flat bottom sounds fine for the rivers and backwaters, i wouldn't recommend it for the bay. I'm relatively new to this game, so you might want to contact some local guides to learn more about the different types of hunting available (puddle ducks from boat or blind, sea ducks from layout boats, body-boot'n, etc).

jendrusjr,

How did you get so lucky to move from the East Coast to God's country?

What's the pheasant population doing there this year? Hunted there 11 years ago and had a riot. Want to get back someday. But it will be a cold day in #3!! before my job would transfer me there. ;^D

Craig S

Small world, I work in Worthing, SD. Spend some time in Havre De Grace, MD., and Virginia but never for the hunting.
Not many people in Worthing kind of took me off guard. I've seen one duck boat in town.

Thanks, Larry. You confirmed what I already feared. The nautical environment is so diverse around here, you almost need 2-3 boats just to hunt the different areas. I don't know about you, but after only a year of marriage I don't think I could tell my wife I'm buying 2 more boats!

Guess I'll just have to hunt some of the more sheltered waters for now.

You get a lot of divers on the Potomac? My brother was stationed at Indian Head and we hunted the Potomac at the confluence of the Mattawoman Creek. Lots of buffs, scoters, and a few cans.

B,

A 14ft TDB would get you to al the places you want to be, but you won't get 3 people in it. you'd have to step up to a 17, and those are much more expensive and draft deeper. I've read about the Devlin Snow Goose being a boat that can handle the rough water and shallows..and there's actually one listed for sale on this web site. if i were near the sesquehanna flats, i'd hunt there.

I see lots of buffs on the lower potomac.

I have gunned deal island with a 14' TDB with three pepole in it with graeat success back in 95,i have seen deal island iced over and out in middle of the inpoundment thousands of ducks resting. Bill

Hey,

Went through a devorce and I also hunted out here in the early 90's. I love it out here. I just decided to move. The duck hunting here is great. I have hunted 4 times this year and have 12 ducks. The phesants are having a record year. Not since the 60's have they had this many birds.

Good Luck

Hello,

I just moved outside of worthing 1 mile north and 2 1/2 miles east. I am staying with a friend right now. I am going to Farrier school in the spring so I sold my acreage.

Jamie

Back