Coffee Doodle Wednesday.

Good morning, Mr. Ballard~

I came late to the party watching your Doodles. Perhaps it just that I'm not a coffee drinker...

It's always fun to watch others at work. I am amazed how you work from bill-to-tail with no preliminary limning in (which I always need to do). You get the personality of each bird perfectly - right on the money - very nice work!

I have recently needed to paint a couple of old decoys for an upcoming exhibit. This watercolor is a John Boyle Brant from Bellport Bay - maybe from the 1920s. The chain ballast was a common feature in Bellport (east end of Great South Bay). The Brown Bros. owned the hardware store where the chain came from.

John Boyle Brant CROPPED small.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Mr. Ballard~

I came late to the party watching your Doodles. Perhaps it just that I'm not a coffee drinker...

It's always fun to watch others at work. I am amazed how you work from bill-to-tail with no preliminary limning in (which I always need to do). You get the personality of each bird perfectly - right on the money - very nice work!

I have recently needed to paint a couple of old decoys for an upcoming exhibit. This watercolor is a John Boyle Brant from Bellport Bay - maybe from the 1920s. The chain ballast was a common feature in Bellport (east end of Great South Bay). The Brown Bros. owned the hardware store where the chain came from.

View attachment 54505

All the best,

SJS
Steve , Thanks for the kind remarks. The doodles are my morning prep for the day ritual that just seem to have progressed into the morning ritual of others . The Brant is outstanding . Makes me want to break out my pallet : ) water color was always my favorite oddly followed by colored pencil. Must be a yin and yang balance thing . Going to be interesting doodling and carving moving forward. I’ve either blown a tendon or have my first face off with tendinitis as my right thumb has frozen up (opened my front door Wednesday afternoon and something g in my hand snapped. Off to the ortho we go… Ah well, learning new modes o mobility. Perhaps my carving moniker for posterity will be “ The one armed walrus”. Have a wonderful weekend . B

Back