CZ Guns

Worth Mathewson

In reading the post about Browning vs CZ guns gave me trouble. The fact that some people have had bad luck with the CZ. As some know I gave a CZ to the first place winner in the 2014 Delta Youth Decoy Contest. I am planning to do the same for the 2015 Contest. (The species will be greenwing teal, either drake or hen.) Is there anyone out there that has had good service from a CZ? I certainly don't want to give a gun that will fail! Best, Worth Mathewson

Worth,

Although I have had no personal experience with CZ I have shot several different guns owned by friends. Many of the individuals at my gun club own or owned CZ firearms and I have never heard a bad word. The comments in the other thread were a surprise to me.

Worth,

I have been using a CZ Canvasback for a couple years. I have been very happy with it. It is my main waterfowl gun now. It does not get babied. It has spent some time marinating in the bottom of the sculling float. Rained on and snowed on. I've put a few cases of target loads through it during winter skeet leagues. I have not experienced any malfunctions.

2f31dbc4-1bbf-4544-a42e-5876589b8811.jpg

-Matt

When I finally won my SSA disability appeal and received eight years' payments at once, I decided to replace some of my guns I had to sell while out of work and disabled. I marched straight into my local gun store and ordered a CZ double with the English wrist. The duck names confuse me--maybe a bobwhite? It seemed too nice a gun to take duck hunting but I did anyway. Right into the blind without a test fire. What the heck, if there was a problem I could go get an old gun at home.

But there was no problem. The first pintail I leveled it at folded and thudded to the ice with Hevi-Shot. When I ran out of my small stash of those, the steel didn't drop them dead. I was unable to make a follow-up shot because my blind partner's dogs always broke to shot and were in the way. Not the gun's problem. They herded a couple under the ice and those were lost when a second barrel would have settled things.

The CZ pointed exactly like my old Stevens 311 that has English wrist aftermarket walnut, the wood worth more than the gun. It was more agile than my duck slaying Lefever of ages past that I let go when steel shot came in...stupid. I like it lot.

One single problem is that it does not have an automatic safety. This can be tricky in a blind when things are happening all around, ducks falling, dogs breaking, whistles blowing. All my previous doubles had automatic safeties. So I found mine leaning in the corner when things quieted down--with the safety off! I damn near had a stroke. Haven't figured out what to do about that so I substituted one of those Brazilian doubles that actually seem put together pretty well...and has an automatic safety. Don't know why that bothered me so bad when I am accustomed to safe-ing autos and pumps when I use them. (But as I age I notice I forget to pump when I'm using my Heavy Duck.)

If a person doesn't have half a century of habit pattern to overcome, a non-automatic safety probably would be easier to get used to. I haven't got around to asking CZ or anybody else if they could install and automatic safety so I leave it home the few times I go out. At 71, I am saving it for my old age.

Sorry for all the blather. The short answer is my CZ has been fine, killing ducks from the get-go.

I own and waterfowl hunt a CZ Ringneck. As many of you know it is a single trigger design. Only one minor problem with the trigger failing to fire the second barrel after about a case of 3" shells went through it. CZ was wonderful about taking care of the problem and turn around from CZ was less than a week. Since returning from CZ, I have had no issues. The shotgun shoots great and CZ has an excellent customer service program. Just my experience with them.

I shot a friend's over/under and thought it was a nice gun for the money. He hasn't had any issues with it.

Back