DBHP Wooden Boat Show get together?

Bob B

Any one up for a cook out on Saturday Night the 27th of June.
I have a good spot at the dock at work and we can grill or do lobsters if guys want.
If the weather is good we have a heck of a view and if not we can do it in the shop.
Would be open to any one who plans on being in the area that day. About three miles from the Seaport.
Parking is good and the rest we can figure out as we go.
Noank Village Boatyard Pictures
Bob Butler

Last edited:
Bob,
Sounds like fun! Would we have access to a boat ramp? If I can get my tilt trim working again, there are stripers in that there river when the sun goes down!

Scott

Scott,
ramp right around the corner on Marsh road at Wild Bills Tackle Shop.
Parking for trailer and truck on RR tracks to the east. Or leave the truck at the marina for the day.
We have a small one for dinks but the bigger boat would not be able to get out past the foot ramp to the dock. Boat can hang on a mooring if you need one. Give me a call RE fishing. Watch Hill and Race are = distance from us. Plenty of other spots closer by as well.
Dave, glad to hear you can come.

Sounds like we are ON.

Good idea Bob and great offer. Unfortunately, I'm out of town then. I was looking for an opportunity to pick your brain too... Have fun.

Eric,
no problem on the new basin, ask away.
As for sanding we are using Fein Vac's with porter cable DA's.
We have looked long and hard at the portable units from Dust Control combined with 3M or Dyna Brade air DA's but the equipment is not handled carefully and we look at the current choice as disposable. 2 seasons at best, per unit.

The pad is new this Spring as part of our efforts with CT's Clean Marina program.
We are the second facility in our town to have one and the first operated very well last fall.

Bottom paint dust collected from sanding is drummed and handled by a contract with a company from MA that provides us with the required disposal.

Thanks for that Bob.

I think I had had settled on Fein's vacuum system but had not yet decided on a DA yet. I did not realize Porter Cable had a dust pick up model till I saw a customer with one last week. I need something that I can rent out and is fairly idiot proof (vacuum system) and easy to repair (DA) so the porter cable is probably out of the running with the repair thing.

As it stands now we shop vac and wash down dust but on a windy day it can be a problem.

We started recovering wash water in the spring of 06 and our shop built electro flocculation system has evolved into what we have today. I have settled on batch treatment of 600-800 gallons at a setting. I still need to redesign the cell to allow quicker cell changes and was wondering if you were using electro flocculation or filters or combination there of or some other system to treat your water.

Thanks,
Eric

We are going to tank and ship this fall. The first system in town is using a system similar to yours. They have had some tweeking but are dialed in now I believe.
I can PM you about it.

The Porter Cables are rebuildable. But they, like any electric tool, take a beating with voltage drop on long cord runs. But the fact that the operator is not blowing it out twice a day is the real killer. But at 130$ its a no brainer.
As I said a 300 to 500 $ air DA would be what I would use if I was doing the sanding and it would be hooked to a 2300 $ vaccume that can easily handle two tools, but its not my job (except for my boat) and the people doing it just dont care about tool care or handling\feel. Our three setups (two active and one backup) do over 140 boats a year, avg length 38'. Now If we painted hull topsides I would be running the better equipment just for finish quality alone, but we dont have a spray booth.

Back