Deicing Boat From Trailer Question

Mike Trudel

Just bought my first bunk trailer. Every year I see guys sitting and tying up the ramp, waiting for the boat to unfreeze from the trailer. I have never had this problem with a roller trailer, but the manufacturer recommended a bunk trailer. I hate to tie up the ramps as late season only a few are open.

Does someone know of something that can be put on the carpeted bunks to alleviate this problem? I know my timing is off, but with all this warm spring weather, I am anxiously awaiting crisp November days.

I have never had that problem. I just use the cheap green (turf) outdoor carpet.
The silicone should work, I use it on my truck door seals and it keeps them from
freezing the doors shut!!
John

Just bought my first bunk trailer. Every year I see guys sitting and tying up the ramp, waiting for the boat to unfreeze from the trailer. I have never had this problem with a roller trailer, but the manufacturer recommended a bunk trailer. I hate to tie up the ramps as late season only a few are open.

Does someone know of something that can be put on the carpeted bunks to alleviate this problem? I know my timing is off, but with all this warm spring weather, I am anxiously awaiting crisp November days.

Drive to the coast and drip the rig in saltwater after every hunt.

i have a plastic on my bunks that also aids in launching the boat on or off the trailer. it is called high moly plastic it is the stuff that is used under conveyer belts for the wear points i bought mine from a local dealer that sells mill equipment but there have to be other places. it can be cut with a saw and you can order it in any dimension you want. on a side note be careful you boat will slide off of the trailer with just a push from you.

The cheap easy solution. Loosen your tie downs a little bit a mile from the ramp. Be sure to hit a few bumps before you get to the ramp. Works almost every time.......( : )

The cheap easy solution. Loosen your tie downs a little bit a mile from the ramp. Be sure to hit a few bumps before you get to the ramp. Works almost every time.......( : )

Now I know why my boat never froze down.

Hey Mike Thanks for the call today it was great talking to you. The guys on this site know a hell of a lot more than I know about trailers, in reading their posts about the teflon covers I say they got you headed in the right direction

Pete... that's a genius solution... seriously... good stuff.

Andrew,

That works great in theory but when you run 5 miles on a rutted dirt road in Michigan you MIGHT break the bunk supports from all the bouncing. Out of the four on my trailer two are broken completely through and one is cracked. Of course my boat wasn't tied down because of an icy trailer - I was lazy and in a hurry................and that's what I get. Why do "live and learn" lessons last your whole life. You'd think you'd catch up once in a while.

Hope you are doing well - catching any fish?

Hi Pete... incredibly busy year... only 2 hunts in sadly... but will do better next year. Going to learn how to fly fish this year... I have lots of spots fortunately but I never had the patience to learn before... but boys show an interest so I'll develop the patience.

I thought what you and others did for Blake was first class... not enough of that in this world. It gave us an excuse to hunt with some great guys and looking at the pics of Blake receiving that decoy was cool.

Have a good and safe off-season.

A

Andrew,

I think you will find fly fishing an incredible way to relieve stress. It always worked for me. Sadly I haven't done nearly as much as I would like to do or plan on. My Dad taught me the value of fly fishing at an early age. It's a good sport for father and son.

Have a great season.

Last edited:
Back