Devlins Black Brant III

charlie foulds

How many guys here have built the BBIII or are now building the BBIII. If you have any pics of your boats and custom changes,PLEASE post pics for us new builders to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie,

I have but don't have any decent pics on this computer. I'll look when I get back home the end of the week.

Pete

Charlie,

Here are a few things I did to my BB2 that would apply to the BB3.

You may want to test fit your engine to see if you need to cut the corners off of your sponsons to prevent interference.
DSCN0411.jpg

I built a small dry storage compartment into the starboard sponson. You may want to check on registaring requirements as some have had to undo similar mods to meet their state requirements (ie- inspectors said the loss of perminant floatation foam was an issue).

DSCN0609.jpg

DSCN06071.jpg

Just the essentials!!

DSCN0655.jpg

The backing plates seen in the foam here are to give the screws more to bite into when anchoring a grass rail (decided not to install- went with plastic stap eyes to hold the camo on), line cleat, and combing.

The steel eye in the transom is for chaining the engine to the boat. I did not bolt the engine on, and had almost lost the engine on my Broadbill the first time out, so this provided much peace of mind.

DSCN0663.jpg

If you do not go with a permant gas tank, you may want a shelf under the bow deck to increase storage or place the gas tank. I found weight from a forward mounted gas tank effected the ride of my BB2, but the shelf is still used for dekes, etc...

DSCN0804.jpg

A dodger really adds to huntibilty, as well as helping keep you warm while hunting.

DSCN13501.jpg

reda0001.jpg

Your build is really coming along well and looking good. Keep the posts coming!

Take care,

Bill

Bill,Thanks for the pics,you have some GREAT ideas. The boat looks fantastic!! Did you do the dodger yourself? What size motor are you useing. Do you know if the motorwell on the BBII is the same as the BBIII?

Wow now wonder I can't find anybody it install a shower door.lol
Charlie your boat is comming along nice. How hot is that shed when you are working in it.
Are you keeping track of the prices of the nickel and dime stuff.
What size engine are you planning on ?
Keep up the good work

Charlie,

Thanks, but I can not take credit for these ideas- most were gleaned from hanging out on this page before I built the boat. I did sew the dodger and cockpit cover mysels. It's amazing the different craftsmanship skills you can practice just to hunt a few ducks! I had to learn to bend pipe, sew heavy fabric, and custom make bungee cords while working on the dodger.

As far as BB2 vs BB3 motorwell dimensions, I can not say positively they are the same, but some BB3 owners have either widened the opening or clipped the corners to deal with interferance issues. Clipping the corners gets the job done and is much less intrusive than widening the well.

Enjoy the build!

Take care,

Bill

Hey Bill F (arrowhawk) The tent isnt bad,I have a stand up fan that does a good job. No hotter than the temp outside. Yeas I am keeping track and I think I will come in just under Devlins estimate!!!(Thanks to this site). I plan on putting either a yamaha 25hp 2 stroke or the new mercurey 25hp "Flyway" 4stroke. Depends on the funds available!!!!

Last edited:
Just curious what a project like this would cost and how approximately how many man hours it would take.

Thanks

Keep up the good work. I would love to build one but I am just to dam lazy, and I do not need a 4th duck boat.
I would like to see the boat in progress up close one day so give me a call before the project end.

Bill, I am hopeing to finnish her up before the South Shore Waterfowlers Duckboat Show in October. I willl bring her to the show "IF" I am done.

Brandon,

It's called a locking deck plate, and I got it at a marine store in San Diago. They also have press in and screw in (but I highly recommend the locking). You can find the same thing at

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,322.html

You may want to check Jamestown, too.

Sounds like your boat is coming together nicely.

Take care!

-Bill

Last edited:
Back