Dog ramp construction plans

Paul Crawford

Anybody have plans for a build your own dog ramp/platform for an aluminum 16 ft Jon boat? i was hoping to build one on the side where my doggie door is for my blind. I thought i would ask before i made the plunge to buy one off cabelas or sportsmens warehouse.

Thanks

Paul

Cory, Where does that ramp ship out of? Couldn't find location on the site. I am tired of leaving my dog at home when we layout shoot. I have plenty of room in my tender boat, but need away for the dog to get up and over the transom.

on the side of a 14 ft
dawgrampforboat004.jpg

dawgrampforboat005.jpg

dawgrampforboat003.jpg

dawgrampforboat002.jpg

dawgrampforboat001.jpg

with a torch and an old chair presto dawg ramp in no time just dont use to much heat you will burn thru..

add a little paint and a piece of plywood ,ive since added carpet and 3 pieces of oak stripping for daisy to grab on to on the plywood...

oh remember to take out all plastic inserts in the ends before applying heat when your down fitting it to your boat put them back in and no rub marks on the side of the boat..i bent and cut it so it would fit just on the top of the spray ridge running down the side of the boat..

the luckiest thing i ever came up with i did it at work {on break} and just geusing and it fit perfect and another theing was it fit so that it could be put right where the middle seat is it just slides down in place ,Daisy come s up the ramp and on to seat then in the bottom im going to glue carpet to the middle seat so she dont slip and hurt her self...

signed
Macgyver Shermie

Shermie,

I have seen folding lawn chairs converted to dog steps, but you have out done that. Nice Alternative Engineering solution.

Paul, if you can sweat copper pipe then I have some plans for a folding step that I put together for a magazine contest. PM me and I'll send you a copy by email. The idea was awarded a runner up status in last years Wildfowl boat/blind contest.

Jeeze thanks Ray,
What ya think id get honorable mention in the contest???lol
just wait till they see what id made a decoy hauler outa..lol

the fella i gave it to loves it and its still going it s been over a year of hauling gear...

shermie..

Cory, Where does that ramp ship out of? Couldn't find location on the site. I am tired of leaving my dog at home when we layout shoot. I have plenty of room in my tender boat, but need away for the dog to get up and over the transom.

yeoldducktoller, good to talk to you!!! I'll look for you folks this summer at the hunt tests!!! I think our ladder will fit your needs perfectly.

Shermie, I like that design!!!!

Shermie,

considering that the guy that beat me won by screwing a rubber coated wire basket from Walmart to the wall of his blind to hold his shell boxes, your dog ramp may beat mine. I guess that they were serious about the criteria of "easy to build". The contest is in Wildfowl magazine and is open until the end of December for entry. A few pictures and your basic write up already posted here will be all you need to enter.

is there a place on line i can send it and the decoy hauler a link perhaps..

what the heck eh??

Ray,

Considering the fact that I'm a plumber, the soldering is no problem...I'd appreciate your either posting the design or pm it to me...please.

Thanks,

Jeff

Shermie,

I'd love to see your decoy hauler design too if it's possible. After you get all the patents in line and so on...lol
These forums are so helpful with all the different ideas that people are kind enough to share.

Thanks,

Jeff

i used a all steel old easel, a pair of wheel chair wheels,some scrap plywood ,cost 45 bucks for bolts screws and hindges,It is prety versitile you can sit under it in the bullrush pic my daughter is in a lawn chair peeking out..the top of the easel where yo hang the charts off of is your handles and away you go,the third leg i left on as you can make a tent with a tarp to get out of the snow or rain and still hunt..i gave it to a friend of mine who has a long walk to the fields to hunt a mile in .he loves it and he still is using it a year later..

oh the best thing he had it so it all came apart so i made to do this with pull pins to fit in his car..wheels unbolt and the pins disengage the box it all folds down flat 5 feet long the easel in it goes a few mintutes and it s up and ready to go..
shermies031.jpg

shermies032.jpg

shermies034.jpg

shermies033.jpg

grasseduprickshawdecoyhauler003.jpg

grasseduprickshawdecoyhauler004.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler001.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler002.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler003.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler004.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler005.jpg

Ricshawdecoyhauler006.jpg