Down East Again and My First duckboats.net Hunt

Andrew L.

This was my second year heading to the East Coast to extend my duck season and somehow it was even better than the last. Myself and good friend Matt started the 10 day trip the day after Christmas with a drive to Bar Harbor, Maine. After stopping along the way at local cuisine's and sleeping for a few hours in Vermont it took us just under 30 hours. We spent Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday exploring Maine's coast, gorging ourselves on seafood and making arrangments with a local fisherman for a large fresh sea food pickup before we were to leave that weekend.

Thursday was the first of a 3 day guided trip with Captain Ernie Spaulding at Rising Sun Outfitters. I hunted with Ernie for the first time last year by myself and knew I had to bring someone back with me this year to join in on the experience. Thursdays weather conditions were harsh. Around 10 degrees and winds out of the west southwest at 20-30. After waiting for daylight to make sure water conditions were safe we were able to head out and locate a small bay out of the wind to set up in. After a short few hours in the layouts Matt and I had harvested our first limits of Eiders for the trip. We had singles and doubles work right into our rig and ended the day with a group of 3 drakes that worked and never got to leave.

First Eider Down
IMG_7584.jpg

One of the best parts of this trip was Ernie allowing me to bring Austin along. His first sea duck hunt and salt water experience. Although he spent most of the day frozen he did well.
IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7599.jpg

The First Days Take. Can you tell we are cold??
IMG_7685.jpg

The second day was met with far less wind out of the north but frigid temperatures. We again had some great gunning opportunites this time at rather large flocks of Eiders. Matt also was able to harvest his first pair of Old Squaw.

Matt getting settled in.
IMG_7717.jpg

I could never get enough of the Maine coastline
IMG_7756.jpg

More dog work
IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

The "U" of water is from the dogs tail as guide Dennis was pulling Austin back in after a retrieve. Lucky shot.
IMG_7840.jpg

The second days take. We came back in at low tide. Normally this rock is submerged.
IMG_7933.jpg

The third day we were welcomed with some milder temps but it was quite overcast and rain was on its way. Gunning was much slower to start the morning and only 2 Eiders and 1 Old Squaw were in the bag at 9:30, also partly due to some missing ;). However, things quickly changed pace. A flock of 50 or so Eiders began to work into the bay. After flagging I knew they had seen us but never made the turn. After seeing them go by at a few hundred yards away we lost sight of the group. A minute later we here "Get Ready" come across the radio from Ernie. After looking back into the bay I see the flock had turned back and was heading right at us, no flagging needed. Just as all the birds were about to set down Matt and I confirmed it was time to shoot and each popped our of the layouts taking 3 drakes each to finish out limits for the day. I do believe that was my first triple on ducks and having a good buddy take 3 at the same time was quite a way to end our hunting in Maine.

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

Matt dropping an Eider.
IMG_8025.jpg

The third days take. Just as we got back to the ramp it began to rain so sorry for the grainy pic
IMG_8047.jpg

We spend Saturday resting, picking up our fresh seafood and packing up for the next leg of our trip, Connecticut. Tod graciously took us in for a few days to try and harvest Brant, a species both Matt and I have yet to hunt. Tod and his family made us feel right at home and we were off to hunt on Monday. Again we were met with very windy conditions. Monday's gunning was not good but we saw plenty of Brant throughout the day. They toyed with us quite a few times after setting down in an area we were previously set up in. Seeing the Connecticut coast and riding in Tod's snow goose was treat enough and we believed we had the birds pinned for the next morning. I must say, for a professor, he knows how to build a rig ;).

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

The second day winds were not much lighter and it had gotten cold overnight. Wind chills were -2 but Matt and I were determined to get a Brant. After not seeing many birds all morning and just about fully froze we finally got a 6 pack to work. 4 Brant fell and Tod helped us with a few clean up shots!

Austin's first Brant.
IMG_8086.jpg

IMG_8105.jpg

Can you tell I am froze here to??
IMG_8156.jpg

It was quite an experience to harvest a bird I never would have thought possible. A big thanks to Tod for inviting us in for a few days and braving the cold and wind for us.

Great trip! I felt like I was right there with you.

I would give anything for the weather you hunted in, Wayyyy to warm and clear today. One more Saturday left with the 14'er and then the big boat comes back out.

Andrew it was a pleasure, other than the weather, that is. It was great to hunt with a couple of hard core, in the true meaning of the word, waterfowlers. It was pretty miserable hitting the water two days in a row with small craft advisories and a gale warning, but it was worth it to get to spend some time with you guys and get you your birds. It was such a pleasure hunting with you two that I feel like I owe you (If nothing else at least part of a 12 pack of bad beer).

I was out yesterday and the birds were on the same schedule in relation to the tide, and they were flying really well in the same spots. I even managed to pick a half a bucket of LEGAL oysters from that bar ;).

T

Last edited:
Andrew,
those are great pictures of a winter hunt. I love the smokey waves in the background on the bay in Maine. No foolin out there.
And cold too. We have been waiting all year for that. To little too late for most of us. But a great help just the same.

Getting to take your dog along is the cats meow. Those retrieves on eiders must have been a blast to watch.

Thanks for keeping Tod in line down state and glad you lived to tell the tale of riding around in a boat powered by a Yamaha.......

Bob

Hi Andrew - Great story and pics - thanks for posting - looks like the pup did a good job and it was not easy in and out of that big boat. Somebody said that 90 % of success starts with just showing up.............man you guys got after it - Well Done !

Todd - super for you to help these guys experience a new area and birds with someone who knows it - good on you brother !

the Goose looks Great !

sarge

Tod you owe us nothing. I hope you can find someone to dump the michelob on ;).

Keep me updated on the rest of your season. And im sure the "illegal" ones tasted much better. I am very jealous of the oyster and clam collecting you have, maybe i can be the first to find an edible way to prepare zebra mussels.

Great pics along with the accompanying story. Sure glad to see you were able to extend your waterfowl season. Good job, Andrew.
Al

nice pics. Are those crab pot decoys or some other homebuilts? I like the simple style. bob

Just simple homebuilts. I am actually having ernie send me the templates so i can make some old squaw and scoters for back home. They birds loved em

Tod you owe us nothing. I hope you can find someone to dump the michelob on ;).

Keep me updated on the rest of your season. And im sure the "illegal" ones tasted much better. I am very jealous of the oyster and clam collecting you have, maybe i can be the first to find an edible way to prepare zebra mussels.

One Michelob down (beer batter), but amazingly the New Glarus is all gone.

Wow, great trip!
I hope to make the type of trip with my boy when he gets older.

Great story-great photos! Looks like the experience of a lifetime! One of these days I've got to try one of those "dream" hunts.

Back