Duck Boat Spot lights

Dave Fairfax

I am looking for lights for the front of my boat. I was thinking that i want 2 spot light type boat lights in the middle of the bow. And on the outside possibly two fog lights pointing down on the water for foggy conditions. All being LED. Hooked up to a deep cycle battery and switches. Please anyone with knowledge of where to find good duck boat lights that will hold up and are bright. also any ideas on the setup would be appreciated. setups that have been tried and successful. thanks guys.

-Dave

I used to run a set of the 4x6 55 watt ones from west marine. they were bright as hell, but they do not fit in the light wells of my new boat.

They also have a 55 watt 4x6 flood that has a magnetic base, so you could mount a couple of plates up and plug it into a 12 volt socket and light it up.

I am not sure how many amps your set up needs, but I have done well by shutting off my big lights when not underway, as I only throw 18 amps at 12v, otherwise, you might bleed out your battery.

Dave, a lot of us run lights on our boats here in florida. When running in open water you are almost better off without them. When runnung a narrow channel or in the marsh they are almost a must. I have three small 20 watt or so halogen flood lights on the front of my boat. more than enough in close quarters and not too hard on your battery and alternator. We mount the lights in a box mounted on the bow, if you dont have a box or some type of shield the reflection off the boat will blind you. I will try to post a picture of what works for us tomorrow. Rich

Dave go to an auto store and buy your lights or try JC Whitiney. There are a number of companies that make LED running and fog lights. Or you can do like I did and buy some cheap fog lights for around $30. I have had them on my boat for 5 years now and still working. I do have to agree lights are useless on open water. I use mine rarely mostly in the morning in the dark trying to find my spot near shore or coming in at night to find the ramp.

check your state regs, I have heard that some states and /or Coast Guard will site you if your lights blind others. As I said, this is what I "have heard."

dc

My experience is that other than running very narrow creeks, I can see better going with ambient light, only occasionally using the spotlight to check things out.

I have always had good luck with this set up.

021.jpg

024.jpg

I'd buy a decent spotlight. Think about it. Spotlights point to where ever the bow is pointing. If you are going slow, medium or fast, the bow is at a different angle relative to the plane of the surface water.

I bought a Stanley 5 Watt LED spotlight ($19.99 at Walmart) and couldn't be happier. Lasts the whole season and I only have to charge it twice, once at the beginning and once in the middle. Very small and lightweight. Fits in the game bag real well. Can carry it with you should you need to leave the boat and need some light.

Mark W

Once you run the marsh with decent lights on your boat, you cant imagine being without them. I used to use a spotlight too, with a mud motor you need one hand to steer and one to hang on to the grab bar with. Imagine driving down the hiway at night holding a spotlight out the window. there is an easier way. Rich

I reckon that it has a lot to do with the water you hunt and the speed you need to go.
I agree that those 10/15million candlepower lights are super, but, out where I hunt, they take a soaking because it rarely gets cold enough to snow, or freeze, so they are subjected to a terrible soaking each time we get out.

That being said, I have been really happy with an old 15 watt bike light I got about 10 years back, I blew through 1 water bottle style battery and sent the thing back for a new battery and it is still as bright as hell. I even rig the thing up on my motorbike for freeway use in the fall.

I just ordered 2 more 55 watt 4x6 floods to go along with the 2 floods I already have. Going to mount them on the bow and light up the night.

I have also heard that you could get a ticket for having blinding lights on your vessel, but, there'd have to be someone to blind, and someone to issue the ticket... and I have never been stopped mid shipping channel by the Sheriff or the C.G. and would damned well be hard pressed to run by moonlight when we have none.

If I have moonlight, then Ill just run nav lights and the stern light, but I rarely get that, so I'll just keep well lit.

I agree. I have too much to take care of navigating and with the tiller to have to worry about holding a spotlight. A spotlight has worked for me in the past but i need something on the front of the boat. I have narrowed it down to lights from either RIGID or Light Force. They are pricey, but what isnt in this sport. I just need to adjust the lights to there most effective coverage at an idle speed. But i can say that i will keep a handheld spotlight at my side as well

I have the 2 lights aimed differently one is pointed lower than the other so I get good light at varying speeds.

Check out the LED lights from Vision X lights they have a bunch of different models ,beam widths ect I'm running them on my rescue boat at work and on my duck boat as well.

They are very well made and worth the price.

Fred

I bought a Stanley 5 Watt LED spotlight ($19.99 at Walmart) and couldn't be happier. Lasts the whole season and I only have to charge it twice, once at the beginning and once in the middle. Very small and lightweight. Fits in the game bag real well. Can carry it with you should you need to leave the boat and need some light.

Mark W

Not much bigger than a beer can and holds a charge a very long time. I highly recommend these Stanley lights.

I am running small halogen floods I got out of a marine supply catalog. They list for about $30.oo pair and are more than enough for my liesurely 17 mph cruise thru the marsh. My motor is a 24 hp Honda and I know its charging system doesnt put out a lot. I am still able to leave my lights on while setting out without ever having a low battery situation. In our area the more you are lit up in the morning darkness the better. We have a lot of go fast airboats that dont necessarily follow channels. I would check the output of your charging system before buying too powerful a set of lights. Its a long paddle home. Rich

Unless you're running light speed through flooded timber and dangerous waters, spotlights are not needed. I get the spotlight to the eyes frequently by idiots on the bay who have no clue what they are doing or where they're at. Spot lights are not approved for navigation and if you're running on navigable tidal waters you're not supposed to be using them. I've never used a spotlight duck hunting.

Davey I grew up on the south shore of Long Island, Made a living on the bay for 16 years. Yes we never needed spotlights or headlights. Our fresh water marsh in florida is a whole different story, it all looks the same, narrow little channels and cuts that wind all over the place. You have to try it to see the need.

Maybe spot light isnt the right way to put it. But i need lights on the front of the boat as my hands will be pretty tied up. Its one less thing to worry about between me the tiller and my dog

Back