Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater

I thought you fellows would get a kick out of this. I happened to glance at my bookshelf, and I saw a very fond memory. I know a lot of you guys revere Eugene Connett’s “Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater.” A few years back, when my lab was about 7 months old, she also took an interest in the old book. I was frustrated at first, but I chalked it up as my mistake for leaving it in her reach. Now, it adds a whole new appreciation for the book. After she left her “touch” on it, the book is invaluably more special!
The drawings of Lynn Bogue Hunt are also great. If you haven’t already seen it, here’s an article about his unmatched contribution to outdoors literature and art.
http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/lynn-bogue-hunt-book/
Man, I wish stories like this were still in popular demand. Now, we just get the same old “Five Late Season Decoy Spreads to Fool Decoy Shy Ducks” and such. Classic outdoor literature (and even drivel) could use a resurgence!

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]View attachment 1.jpg[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]View attachment 2.jpg[/font]

Agreed great book

Lynn Bogue Hunt was born in a little western NY town a couple miles from here. I have always liked his work

It's been in my library for years, LBH's artwork is icing on the cake. Many past and present great artists hail from western NY.

It appears that your dog liked the book also.

There are still some good hunting & fishing stories being written, but you have to seek them out. In magazines, Gray's does a very good job with writing and art.

Many of the old decoy shows had 2 or 3 quality book dealers. You name it and they had it, or would get it for you. I always went to their tables, or rooms first to add to my library.

Robert,
I have never read the book you mention, but need to put it on my list. The first thing that came to mind with your post was this. My black lab whose name was Buckshot "customized" my High School letter jacket that I hung on a hook in the garage. He escaped his garage kennel, pulled it off the wall, chewed the pocket out, drug it into the kennel and crapped on it. My wife was sure he would not survive when I got home. It's a good thing he was such a good retriever. I put him down at 14 years old. Anyone else have a retriever "customize" any of their belongings?

Funny you bring this book up. I just ordered it, supposed to be here Saturday. I'm looking forward to reading it and will make sure to keep it in a dog safe location. I also ordered "Gunning the Chesapeake: Duck and Goose Hunting on the Eastern Shore"

Last edited:
Truly a great book! We used this in the documentary project "On The Falling Tide" releasing in March. Very nice..

Had it for many years. Bought it at the odcca show or clayton decoy show can't remember. One of those books you still pick up a couple times a year to read a chapter. Good stuff

Funny you bring this book up. I just ordered it, supposed to be here Saturday. I'm looking forward to reading it and will make sure to keep it in a dog safe location. I also ordered "Gunning the Chesapeake: Duck and Goose Hunting on the Eastern Shore"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you will enjoy it Darin

BTW - a book is about the only thing Macallan hasn't chewed up
laughing-smiley-014.gif

You may also want to add Connett's Wildfowling In The Mississippi Flyway to your library as well. Original copies are more pricey than the Atlantic Flyway book.The Premier Press made 3,000 copies, in 1984 all numbered. It has no artwork by LBH, but photo's and lots of good info and stories.

I have to agree with Rick. My lab Molly chewed everything but a book, if I recall... but my gawd she lived to hunt and find birds. In the days of the 3 bird limit, more than once she would find and bring cripples to hand before I ever fired a shot. There was never a tooth mark on any birds that she retrieved though.

Excellent book. I have a copy of this in my library along with a lot of other great books. Interestingly enough my father ( who was a avid waterfowler) was the CEO of William Morrow for years.

A classic. This book drew me into gunning salt water and giving up plastic decoys. I guess I can consider it a treasured inspiration and enabler. :)

Tom

Back