duck water boats

went to the duck water boat factory thurs.looked at a backwater 17 model.must say i very interesting design.appears you could use this model as a dual purpose boat.trying to make sure this style will handle my bass,walleye and duck needs.does anyone have first hand experience with this style of boat.would like to know if i'm on the right track with this boat.plan on using it on lake erie and my boat size would be 19ft.also what size outboard would be a good match.

Well,
I have an early Stealthfighter 17 footer.
It has been a seaworthy vessel.

I haven't sunk it yet.
Steve got it done and shipped it to me as he said he would.

Hi Mike,

Lake Erie can get pretty rough quick! You might want to consider an ocean series rather than a backwater.

Doug

I have been out on a couple of the large style duck boats made by different manufactures. You will be very happy wiith the performance of the Duckwaters boats. They handle very well, safe and make great fishing boats as well. They out perform most boats in the ice and near the rocky shores and they are fairly easy to make modifications on down the road. I don't own one though but would love too, this past season I was out on a Duckwaters when the weather turn and we had to come back in 6ft - 8ft seas and the boat was awesome.

Chris D.

one of my biggest concern is how do these duckwaters compare to a deep v like a lund or starcraft.would love to know how they handle.

Mike, I own the DW-17 and love it. The boat I have now is the fiberglass 17' it can handle some significant weather with 4 guys and gear. I'm lovin the 17' Bay though, it has the lower nose, and that works better for me. I hunt bays, the long island sound, and gardniers for divers. I prefer the low nose (has lower profile). But for lake Erie, maybe you should consider the bigger nose and gunnels, hear Erie can get a little "sporty".....good luck

Having hunted Erie for years, I would highly suggest a bigger rig. That lake can kick up faster than you can pick up.

I used to hunt up there when I was young and stupid, and I'm alive to talk about it, but I wouldn't recommend it again.

It's amazing how small a boat is when surounded by water. Especially BIG water!

Jon

looking at a 19ft duck water custom,72'' bottom,34'' sides,inside depth 28'' and working on the degree right now.hunt maumee bay,sandusky bay and shoreline of lake erie.currently running a mud rig.so i only been in 2 or 3.always watching the wind and go from there.

looking at a 19ft duck water custom,72'' bottom,34'' sides,inside depth 28'' and working on the degree right now.hunt maumee bay,sandusky bay and shoreline of lake erie.currently running a mud rig.so i only been in 2 or 3.always watching the wind and go from there.

I like Starcrafts 19 degree.

Hi Mike, I have a DW 19' ocean series that I run a 140hp Suzuki on. When I'm not using it for hunting, it seconds as my salmon boat on Lake Ontario. I've been caught out in some nasty stuff and never had any concerns. The ocean series boats are deeper and wider than the one you are looking at. IMO, go with the ocean series if you're considering using it for fishing on Lake Erie, it can kick up a mess of trouble in a hurry. If you have anymore questions on my DW, feel free to PM me.

I've been running a 21' Duck Water Ocean with a 150 since October. Stable seaworthy boat, very pleased so far. As soon as the weather warms a bit will be fishing and crabbing the Chesapeake Bay.

DSCI0356new.jpg
HI MIKE
I HAVE A 17 FT DUCKWATER OCEAN SERIES BOAT I WAS ABLE TO CUT THREW 2 INCHES OF ICE THIS YEAR TO GET OUT TO OPEN WATER THE BOAT IS VERY STABLE FOR HUNTING AND FISHING I HAVE A 115 YAMAHA 4- STROKE ON IT AND IT FLYS THIS IS THE BEST INVESTMENT I HAVE EVER MADE BEING I AM A DIE HARD WATERFOWLER AND TAXIDERMIST
STEVE IS A GREAT PERSON TO DEAL WITH AT DUCKWATER

Back