Duckboat painting

cjduncan

Yesterday I put the A/G primer on the hull and was going to paint with the FME paint today. Well we are expecting thunderstorms and downpours throughout the day.

So now I am going to paint tomorrow. Should I do anything to the primer coat or just wipe it down with a clean rag and paint?

CJDuncan

Yeah that should do wipe it down to remove dust and dirt. Maybe do a very light hand sand with 80grit to rough it up then wipe but that's all I would do.

I re-read the painting an aluminum boat by Lou Tish and he doesn't mention sanding the primer coat prior to finish coat.

Do I need to sand between coats?

I disagree with the 80 grit. I think that is way too coarse. Use 220 at the most, 400 would be better. If you have an air compressor, use that to remove sanding dust. Get a 99 cent tack rag and wipe the whole thing down with that before you spray. You will be happy with the results. But, I really don't think you have to sand at all after primer for a duck boat.

I wouldn't sand between coats every time but if it sat got rained on it wouldn't hurt. As far as the 80grit. Its a duck boat but the 220 or 400 will do well. You don't need to sand but it wouldn't hurt. As scott said a cheap tack rag works great so does compressed air. As long as the primed surface is clean and dry you will be good. I would msg Lou and ask him what's best. I have bugged Lou from time to time really nice guy and willing to help.

As scott said a cheap tack rag works great

I'm personally not a big fan of tack rags...they can leave residues that could hinder bonding of the next coat. I prefer cheese cloth or a lint free rag with the appropiate thinner for the medium in use.

I also lean toward Chris' point of view on the sandpaper grit. On a boat, I generally wouldn't go finer than 150 so there is some bite (also likely at this point in the finishing process wouldn't go as far as 80...there is a BIG diference in the scratches left by 80 and 100 grit). I have even heard this from professionals finishing varnish on high end wooden boats to stay course.

Chuck

Back