East Coast Waterfowling Museums

Dave Sharpe

Howdy gang, This spring we plan to head up the East coast from Florida to Maine. Many moons ago I recall discussions here of some East coast duck boat/hunting museums worth checking out. At the time I thought yup one day ---. The day's approaching and I can't recall the names and locations of the museums featuring old duck boats. Any help would be might appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Check out the Seaport museum in Tuckerton N.J. A Lot of history there, I go when I go to the gunning and decoy show in September, it's right across the street.

On Chincoteague island, Virginia you'll want to visit The Refuge Waterfowl Museum. Located in the middle of the little Barrier island, it's pretty easy to find on Maddox Blvd.

Check these pics out.
BBSB.jpg

Cigarsrig.jpg

Definatlyillegal.jpg

Museum2.jpg

Coots.jpg

add the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum to your list....
They are located in St Michaels, MD (near Easton) on the eastern shore - they have an outstanding collection also...

I think those mallards, blacks, and lone pintail hanging are made by Cigar. How'd ya like those in front of you on a cold December morn ???

In this area all that have been mentioned so far, Ward, Chesapeake Maritime, Havre de Grace, and Tuckerton. I would also add Upper Bay museum in Northeast, MD to the must do's. They have very limited hours, but you could call and make an appointment. I think there may be one in NC but one of the those guys would have to post up as I have never been to it.

Check out Whalehead duck hinting club / museum in the OBX of NC. There is a tremendous amount of history there...

http://www.nc-outerbanks.com/whale.html

Steve

Chesapeake Classics in Cambridge, MD is a Shop/Museum that is worth checking out.

You could go from Chincoteague, to Salisbury, to Cambridge, to Easton, to North East, to Havre De Grace, then be right back on 95 to head north.

Have a good trip.

-D

northeast maryland also has a decoy museum--between there and havre de grace, you should get a pretty good idea of the difference between the eastern and western shore decoys of the upper bay!m nalso a pretty good jag of old fowling craft. as you head north, there is a pretty good museum on long island, at stony brook.
If you want to be overdosed, the ward foundation is putting on the world carving competition at ocean city, the week of the 24th, and the following weekend , havre de grace has a pretty big shindig!

Last edited:
forgot about cambridge, I haven't been there yet but its supposely a nice shop. As dave pointed out make a plan, I would consider spending the night around here and spread them out over two days. I would figure roughly 2 hours per place some maybe less.

There is the Core Sound Museum on Harker's Island and the Mariner's museum in Beaufort NC (pronounced BOfort not byoufort) that you really should see if you get down to the OBX. The Mariner's in Beaufort has a boat building annex across the street on the water where small boats are constantly being built and rebuilt in traditional fashion. It smells of Juniper and it's fascinating to watch the artisans work.

If you get down this way give me a call and maybe I can take you fishing.
Best,
Harry

Whew! Thanks guys! We'll fit in as many as possible.

And Harry thanks for the offer to take me fishing. That would be going beyond the call! I really appreciate it. I doubt we'll have the time this trip. But I'm making a note for the future!

Dave

Back