Expired Boat Flares

What do you do with the expired boat flares. I may keep the most recently expired ones as extras on the boat, but I'm to a point where I need to dispose of some. Is there a safe way, can they just go in the trash?

I would think you could chuck them in the trash....maybe let them soak in a bucket of water for a week, if you're real concerned?
But, lighting them off is more fun.

I think, that technically, you can receive a summons for expired flares on the boat, even if you have the required quantity of non-expired ones. I THINK.

I just took some down to the transfer station. They said PLEASE don't throw them in the trash, they have a habit of igniting sometimes when crushed. They were going to give them to the fire department for some reason or another. It the past I've used them to ignite brush piles.

I don't know how the Coast Guard is there, but if you have expired flares you can get a citation since a person unfamiliar with the boat could grab the wrong one. I didn't get the citation, but did get a warning...

Last I heard, the CG recommends firing them horizontal to the water so as not to raise an alert, they don't go far anyway, so it's not likely to concern anyone, of course it wouldn't be a great idea to do it in the middle of a pack of boats on a nice summer Sunday.

I never heard of anyone getting ticketed for having "extra" expired flares on board as long as you have current ones.
Everyone, and that includes LE, acknowledges that they still work long after expiration, and more is a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an obscure violation for it though, of course any officer that would write it is just being a douche bag.

My uncle use to fire em off into a pond but in the NJ boaters safty class I took in april they said not to carry expired and unexpired. That you can get a ticket for that. Call the state marine police in Atlantic City and ask them.

As a trash professional I can say,"DON'T THROW THEM IN THE TRASH!! They will set the landfill on fire." If you don't want to fire them off you can usually take them to the local fire station for proper disposal.

As long as you have the required, in date flares you are ok. According to my local CG group, you can have extra expired flares. I put them in a Food Saver bag and put on the boat labeled EXPIRED. If you have expired flares give them to the local FD boat crew or USCG auxilury for training.

Never heard you can't have old flares, so I went to the CG site; frequently asked questions, this is what I found.

Expired Flares , posted: 12/7/2010

Question: I have old flares that have expired. What is the best way to dispose of flares? Is it legal to keep old flares as backup as long as you have up-to-date flares on your vessel? Does the Coast Guard Auxiliary collect expired flares and dispose of them?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: There is no reason to dispose of flares just because they are expired. You are encouraged to keep those flares on board and use them first in an emergency. The U S Coast Guard Auxiliary does not collect flares for disposal. Some Auxiliary units may use expired flares for training or demonstrations. Because of their pyrotechnic nature, flares are considered hazardous waste and need to be disposed of properly. The best source of information would be your local waste management authority.
George R Bores, BC-VTR
National "V" Department Staff
[/font]

Thank you Charles! For digging up that CG faq response.

It's nice when logic lines up with fact. "[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You are encouraged to keep those flares on board and use them first in an emergency."

Scott
[/font]
[/font]

Here is a post from an Alaskan forum regarding shooting off expired flares. This is directly from the USCG in Juneau Alaska.
Here's the deal with marine pyrotechnic Visual Distress Signals (flares); Yes, they have expiration dates. The dates are intended to ensure the most consistent performance (an important factor should you need a flare during an actual emergency). Pyro, when kept dry, retains a high percentage of functionality for years...I've fired off flares that have been over 20 years old. At the same time, flares that are allowed to absorb moisture may not fire even if they're within their expiration dates, so at least some reasonable care is required. I also see some comments regarding firing off flares in non-distress situations; here's something to consider: The Coast Guard is obligated to assume there is a distress situation when a distress signal is seen and reported. When we get a distress signal notification, there is a procedure we follow to investigate, which could include launching a helicopter and/or boats to respond. A false distress signal can run up a huge bill to the taxpayers, not to mention that any assets used to investigate a false distress might not be available if an actual distress occurs elsewhere at the same time. If you call us and let us know that you want to fire off a flare; we then are aware that it is a non-distress situation and don't need to launch assets. The problem is with people who light off expired flares for the wrong reasons and many times they assume that no one can see them...not realizing that an aircraft many miles away can easily spot an aerial flare or another boat who then turns around and reports a distress signal to the CG. Incidentally, there is a very hefty fine/jail time associated with non-distress signaling, including false Maydays on the radio, uncorrelated flare launchings and EPIRBs going off...it's a much bigger issue than most people might imagine. Boat Safe! Mike​

Never heard you can't have old flares, so I went to the CG site; frequently asked questions, this is what I found.

Expired Flares , posted: 12/7/2010

Question: I have old flares that have expired. What is the best way to dispose of flares? Is it legal to keep old flares as backup as long as you have up-to-date flares on your vessel? Does the Coast Guard Auxiliary collect expired flares and dispose of them?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: There is no reason to dispose of flares just because they are expired. You are encouraged to keep those flares on board and use them first in an emergency. The U S Coast Guard Auxiliary does not collect flares for disposal. Some Auxiliary units may use expired flares for training or demonstrations. Because of their pyrotechnic nature, flares are considered hazardous waste and need to be disposed of properly. The best source of information would be your local waste management authority.
George R Bores, BC-VTR
National "V" Department Staff
[/font]

This questions was on my Masters upgrade test: "Keep expired flares away from current flares, set off expired flares first in an emergency"

I rotate my handheld flare from our life jackets to a pelican case.

I first tape over the expiration date with clear packing tape. This keeps the date from wearing off. I then zip tie them to the oral inflation tube on the vest/pack. When the expire, I place new flares on the jackets & rotate the old flare to the pelican case for emergencies.

If you really need to get rid of them & you are in a high brush fire area or a WMA that does controlled burns, donate them to the fire department or biologists.

They will use them to start back burns!!!

Last edited:
Well, I'm off to buy myself new flares today....took out the TDB last week for a shakedown cruise and found my current ones had just expired.

I use the 12ga pistol flares, the replacements are cheaper than the hand helds. My expired ones have a tendancy off going off on 4th of July while everyone is setting off fireworks over the bay in Fortescue.

Back