First Hunt!

Tim Lucas

A few days ago I asked a question about kids in waders. Well, I took your advice along with a ton of boat information that you guys have been talking about over the last couple of months. Saturday morning around 4:30 my twelve and fifteen year old sons climbed out of bed and hooked our homemade 16' plywood skiff to the car. Wow! This was the best day I will ever remember. The boat was dry as a bone, the eight horse was more than enough even though it had all three of us and our gear on board and once we got out it floated in four inches of water. I had conversations with these boys I never thought I would have had and five minutes before shooting started we heard the first birds land in our spread. They are hooked so I just wanted to say thanks.

Yep ...taking the kids is the best...Took my 5 year old boy out for the early goose opener...he was so fun to watch...Tonite he put on his hip boots ,coat ,calls and toy gun and sat out by the the lake in the pouring rain till past dark ,he even ask me for a flashlite so he could stay out longer........and the kid can actually blow a call quite well......mike

That's great, Tim. Take them out every chance you get. They might be the best days you ever spend together. I remember going out with my dad in his plywood duckboat like it was yesterday.

I was out with my youngest boy this morning for an hour before a rainstorm drove us in. He got to shoot behind three woodies, and feel what it's like to shoot with the butt of a gun up against a wader strap buckle. He'll remember that for a while!

Rick

Back