First wooden boat

bballard

Just got my first wooden boat (traded six old plastic goose decoys for her. Her bones are great, and she floats like a charm. Pirogue style I believe. Plywood construction (Looks like an Uncle Jon's sort of), Wonder about paint strip and sealing techniques. She has no glass on her at all. Looking at a shallow water lay down style with pipe stabilizers on the side.

Any info on the best coarse of action are appreciated .

View attachment boata.jpg
View attachment boatb.jpg
View attachment boatc.jpg
View attachment boatd.jpg
View attachment boate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Ballard~

Sweet little vessel! Congratulations on a nice find.

Do you need to strip her? Photos do not show a heavy build up of paint. So, I'd be tempted to sand with 80 grit - mostly with a random orbit sander. Then by hand with a block wherever the sander cannot reach. You could seal any raw wood with Spar Varnish. If the plywood grain is "open" (fairly coarse), I might seal the entire boat with Spar. Then, sand with 120. Three coats of oil-based duckboat paint should provide good coverage. You can use a roller for the exterior.

Any thoughts about 'glass on the outside? I 'glassed my Pirogue ( https://stevenjaysanford.com/lost-found-boat-a-15-foot-pirogue/ ) on the bottom and up about 6 inches above the chines - so I could survive skim ice if needed. I used 6-ounce cloth set in epoxy.

You also might consider a coat of epoxy resin on the floor after sanding but before painting. The floor will get lots of wear and the epoxy will toughen the skin. You can even sprinkle some anti-slip (fine sand) onto the curing epoxy.

I look forward to your progress.

SJS

Steve, paint is all fresh and well set, no crazing anywhere. I was figuring a full strip / sand would be necessary so that I could spar the whole boat. To the touch it feels like there may have been no sealer other than the paint and caulk.

I am trying to educate myself in the application of glass. The only time of done any was when I under the guidance of Lou Tisch, cast a mold, re glassed and sealed a COW BLIND.

Certainly no harm in stripping - either chemically or with a torch.

Here is my old post re burning paint: http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=240148;search_string=torch;#240148

Glassing over wood - especially wood that has had paint on it - requires epoxy resin. I like the products (and prices) from U S Composites. If you will be 'glassing or saturating any parts with epoxy, skip the Spar Varnish in those areas.

Lou's layups for all 'glass boats are most likely polyester (the correct technology for the application).

re Dave's suggestion: If you cannot wait for July Fourth - Memorial Day is coming up soon!

SJS

Nice pirouge sir. Looks like a copy of an aluminum Bayou Chein

Just a lil advice from someone that grew up in those boats, they don't like to be shot out of unless you shooting inline with the direction the boat is pointed and they don't like it when you are more at the end of the boat when you shot either.

Nice little boat. I am pretty sure it is a Gloucester Gull rowing dory. They used to sell plans for them in Woodenboat magazine. Rich

Yeah, actually looking for a wheeled cart. Thought I would let a couple kids dress up and CROSS THE DELEWARE in her.

To the esteemed Earl of Hopkinsberg:

'The Artists' imagination never rests...no one else could have looked past the bright and shiny beacon of patriotism and saw a drab shadow of a boat hidden in the weeds. You are truly amazing! If you'd like to take your amazing feats to new levels, I have a genuine Wisconsin push paddle you could try out with the recent addition to your double ended armada.

With all sincerity, best of luck in your boat re-building endeavors and other appropriate salutations,

Charles of the North

I also have a canoe cart, but that wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as watching you try and paddle that whisp of a boat standing up...

Nice pirouge sir. Looks like a copy of an aluminum Bayou Chein

Just a lil advice from someone that grew up in those boats, they don't like to be shot out of unless you shooting inline with the direction the boat is pointed and they don't like it when you are more at the end of the boat when you shot either.

Very similar to the uncle John plans. I built one years ago, and took a bath during goose season shooting out of it. Definatley go with you stabilizer idea!

Last edited:
Back