fishing kayak vs scott woodsman canoe

Joe Brewer

Hi guys, just curious if any of you have experience with the scott woodsman canoe. I can't decide which to get between that and a sit on top fishing yak. I will be fishing the bigger inland lakes in northern michigan. Worried about the canoe as far as taking on water. Any help is greatly appreciated

While a sit on top kayak won't take on water you will get wet sooner or later. Don't imagine it will always be a dry and stable experience.

I have fished for years from a number of different Scott canoes. I can't speak to the new canoes produced since the bankruptcy and move. If it is an older woodsman they were well made, stable and reliable. I believe the design has not changed.

If it were me I would go for the canoe.

When I bought my first Ocean kayak I took an axe to my canoe and hauled it to the landfill.
Go with a kayak you will be happy!

I hate canoes

Joe- I use outriggers from Cabela's on my Grumman Canoe. They can be adjusted easily, so the canoe still paddles like a canoe should, but if you want to stand to fish, (helps my bad back), you can extend the outriggers to make a stable platform. . . .

Although I really like some of the new kayak designs, I still think my canoe works best for me.

Miller

Fishing kayaks are very stable, have rod holders, cooler space, etc... Some guys even mount fish finders & GPS.
Guys down here on the Gulf Coast paddle off the beach and fish for king macs, tarpon, etc, out of sit-on-top kayaks.
Sometimes groups of guys will go 2-3 miles off the beach!

But you will get wet, since they are basically shallow self bailing hulls. But very stable.

Thanks guys. I really like the stability and self bailing aspects of the kayak. I don't like the fact everything I land a fish I'll get wet. I want to use for hunting ducks also so I will be limited on gear. The canoe holds more but then I'll want to put a motor on it. The canoe I found is $625 and the slayer 12 kayak I was looking at is on sale now for $979. Who knows maybe I'll buy both! It is my wife's birthday today after all lol!!!

I'm a canoe fan--I have a literal barn load of them along with 2 kayaks.

Advantages of a canoe over a kayak--can carry 2 passengers; can carry lots more gear; can carry a dog.

Advantages of a sit-on-top kayak--cannot be capsized and fill with water.

My personal belief is that square stern canoes are generally a poor compromise. Not as wide and stable as a boat; not as portable and maneuverable as a canoe.

If I went with a square stern, I'd want something 18+ feet--the short ones are miserable to paddle and can't carry much motor. Scott's larger freighter canoes (before the bankruptcy) were great boats for those who want a heavy motor canoe. I haven't seen them since then.

I'm going to buy a Sportspal canoe as soon as I find one local and reasonably priced. The Scott Woodsman seems similar in design.

I agree that the square stern is a poor compromise......

Good morning, Jeff~

Two more Canoe advantages:

1. You can stand up - to reconnoiter or pole

2. You can change positions - sit, knell, etc - on a long voyage to ease cramps and stiffness (for us old guys).

re Square sterns: I have never owned one BUT did put a tombstone transom on a pirogue I built with a friend. He puts a trolling motor on it and loves it. Underwater shape is same as the plain pirogue.

All the best,

SJS

I have three of the native watercraft boats which is the company that makes the slayer.I have a manta ray that is a sit on top.A 12ft and a 14ft ultimate. I prefer the ultimates they are a cross between a kayak and a canoe. They are pretty stable and I can haul my dog and gear in them.

How do the ultimates perform in a small chop? Or a possible boat wake? Been pondering the ultimate the 14.5 model. I have looked at several different SOT models. I think I could get around just as well in a canoe but if I venture out on either of the bays in Traverse City I want a kayak

The ultimates r more still water boats.I have a spray skirt on my 14.I just purchased the new fx 12 that has a front hatch cover to displace water should it come over the bow.just sold a cuda 12 sot.it was a nice boat .I liked the self bailing feature.the center of gravity is higher and less storage.I was looking at the slayer 12,14 and the13 propel but ended up w the fx.I bought the sot because I thought I was gonna take it on big water but never really did much BC I have other boats for that purpose.if ur serious about going out on big water I'd go w the slayer if u take a wave or flip it it won't sink.

Back