Fishing South Carolina, NDR

JimO

All:

I ran my boat from Cape Cod to Hilton Head SC earlier this month. My boat will be in Harbortown Harbor until Mid or late May. I have never fished the waters either inshore or offshore from there. I listened to a fishing report on the radio in HH and did not even know what type of fish they were talking about!

I am mostly interested in offshore pelagics (Tuna, wahoo, dolphin, sailfish, marlin etc.) but would like to fish inshore on bad weather days for Kingfish? grouper? etc.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! I will be fishing most weekends in March, April and May until I run the boat back up north. If anyone local wants to join me, just let me know!

Thank you

Jim O'Brien

Ps.. on a duck related topic, on the way down the coast we overnighted in Georgetown SC at Hazard Marine. The way in that river to the marina looked like a duck hunters paradise! Also saw a bunch of ducks in there. Had a GREAT meal and fun time. Very nice people!

Jim,

This site might help you out:

http://saltwaterfishing.sc.gov/

If you get out bottom fishing, big egg sinker, followed by a bead & a big swivel, then a 4-6' 100# mono leader and stout circle hook works well for AJs, big snapper & grouper. Live pinfish & croakers work best if you can find them.
If fishing for "panfish" like vermilion snapper, red porgy & sea bass, then a standard 2 dropper rig with a bank sinker on the bottom and squid for bait is hard to beat.
Good luck!

Carl:

THANK YOU for pointing out that website. The first thing I learned is that I need a saltwater fishing license in SC! That is new to me, since they are not required up here (yet!).

Jim O

No problem. Make sure to post some pics!
I used to bottom fish for snapper, grouper & AJs a lot, so let me know if you need some tips.

Well since I have never fished for grouper, snapper or AJ's I could use all the help I can get!

Jim O

Jim,
My nephew lived on Hilton Head for a number of years, has since relocated to CO, but has a friend on Hilton Head that may be able to answer some of your questions...I called my nephew and he said he'd be glad to pass your phone number on to his friend...If you want to Pm me your number I'll be glad to try and help you get some info..
Bruce

In reference to fishing around Hilton Head SC check out www.FISHNandHUNTN.com it covers the entire coast of SC. The Hilton Head fishery is great for kings,wahoo and cobia also there are several wrecks for bottom fishing. The DNR website Carl was talking about has a list of all the wrecks off the SC coast and gps information. I fish and duck hunt up above Hilton Head at Georgetown SC. I almost forgot there are tarpon,sails and plenty of bull head dolphin caught off the SC coast. If I can be of any help just drop me an email.
Greg Bryant

Greg:

Thanks for the reply. Note on my first post that I stopped in Georgetown on the way down the coast. Looks like a GREAT area to hunt. I saw plenty of ducks and wide open areas to hunt. Georgetown looked like a nice place too! We were at Hazard Marine and went into town for dinner. I forget the name of the restaurant but it was right on the water acrosss from what looked like some sort of mill.

Thank you for the website link!

Jim O

Jim,
That would be Georgetown Steel or International Paper Company. There are three major river systems that form Winyah Bay. I don't know if you came down the ICW or followed the coast line but I have always wanted to make the trip down the ICW to the orange state. I spend all the time I can in Georgetown the first time I hunted there I fell in love with it. Hope to one day reside there. Thanks for the reply.

Greg Bryant

Jim, a few friends of mine cleaned up on weakfish at the wrecks recently. Plenty of sheepshead there too. Pm me if you want specific info. I build boats here in s.c. and am in touch with a number of guides.
Frank

Back