Flotation for Hummer

Robert Becherer

After reading Darren's post and accident report,I think I will feel better using my Hummer if I add some flotation to it.What areas on the Hummer would be a good place for adding flotation.I did stick some foam in the front and rear near the nose and transom I put on.For those who are familiar with the Hummer,If I put sides inside the cockpit and enclosed the rib area,would adding expandable foam in those areas be sufficient?Would screwing the floor down and adding foam to that area be a good idea?I cut the deck upper support to allow room for storage but if adding to that area would help with flotation,then I may add it there.Only problem that I can think of right now would be water being trap in the foam and causing rot in not dried out.

I have used inflatable floatation for kayaks in the past, under both decks for and aft. Now I'm in water less than 3 feet deep I don't bother with it.

Ed.

Robert, I made a squared off transom hummer instead of a "double ender" and added floation in the front, back and side areas. I only did this becaus eI had to cross some deep water before getting into the "skinny stuff."

dc

Back