Flotation Pods

Mike Trudel

Does anyone have experience with adding floatation pods to an existing deep-v aluminum hull? What did do to planing performance and draft? Thanks for any info.

Mike - At one time there were quite a few center console boats here in Florida with baitwells added to the transom either side of the motor. These usually had the same deadrise angle as the bottom. Full or empty I never heard anyone complain about them. In any modification like this it is vitally necessary that the flotation pods be absolutely true to the original bottom. A down angle and they will act as giant trim tabs - any angle up and they will suck the back down. I have transom extensions on two 14' Lowe Jon boats. The performance/comfort level of both boats was greatly improved. The two aluminum boxes on the boat with the Merc outboard were perfect right out of the box- great place for decoys or fish in the summer. Second one on my boat with the Go Devil is bolted on and trimable by adding or subtracting shims along bottom. Amazing how much a couple degrees of change in the running surface can alter the performance characteristics of the boat. So get it right and I am sure you will be happy.

By the way, as you can probably tell we love those brown curly dogs, too! Presently own 5 and have been ACC members close to 20 years.

View attachment P1000849.JPG
View attachment Old Duck Boat.jpg

Dont know about a deepV, but we have a tunnel hull john at work with floatation pods.
They seem to really improved performance over not having them on, but I dont have any numbers to back that up.

BTW, like Rich mentioned, having live wells added to the transom of bay boats is popular down here on the Gulf coast as well. Most boat that have them have one on each side. There are V hull boats, so it appears the concept works with a V hull too.

Hitch added to his Jon to build the blind and mud motor. I think if you search is posts you will find the pictures of the welded pods being added.

A local guide added performance pods to his 24' mod-vee jon boat and he says that the boat fully loaded with three paying customers, his chessie, and himself, brought the boat up four inches. Four inches less draft is serious where Wisconsin laws require you to be within three feet of cover if shore hunting.

Beavertail sells performance pods. they are now sending me a catalog.

Very good info guys.....thanks.

My brother added performance pods to his 16x60 flat bottom with a 40 merc on the back. Works great, and we are able to get that boat into really shallow water. Just make sure that you have a way to adjust the trim on your motor cause it could effect the performance if your motor isn't in the water enough.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_djJS9u9qpls/TGg_X-YlSjI/AAAAAAAAAXU/yJk46sr_6a0/s640/IMG00409.jpg
moz-screenshot-7.png
moz-screenshot-8.png

Mike, did you put the pods on your v-hull? I'm thinking of doing the same to my 16' boat. If so when you get some open water can you let me know how they turned out for you?

Thanks
Pat

I have never heard of adding pods to an aluminum boat, but it does sound interesting. What are the advantages to adding them? Does it change the boats performance in "rougher" water.

Usually you see them on Flat bottom john boats. They extra surface are for your boat. It can raise the draft of your boat a few inches so you don't sit so low in the water.

Back