Four Stroke or Two Stroke?

David Palmer

I'm in the middle of building a Devlin Broadbill and was wondering what you think about going with a four stroke motor or a two stroke motor? I'm leaning towards either a 9.9 hp or a 15 hp. There's a good deal on a 15 hp Mercury four stroke ('08 model) on Craigslist, and I don't want it to slip away if that's the route I should go.

I know that four strokes are a good bit heavier, but their increased torque might help me get out of the hole better.

Any wisdom on the matter?

David

With the smaller sizes I plan on running my ol salvaged 2 strokes as long as I can which should be a loong time. KISS is my mantra for this application. Cheap and lighter. I wouldn't worry about jumping a Broadbill up on plane. Just my $.002. Good Luck

David,
I used to run an older 9.8 merc on my Broadbill, which pushed the boat fine, so I doubt you will be disappointed on either 9.9 or 15, 2 or 4 stoke.

However,
I now have a 15 hp Yamaha 2-stroke, which really gives the boat some get up and go. The engine maxes out RPMs at 25mph, even fully loaded, and one of these days I am going to get a higher pitched prop to see what it will really do.

Hope you are enjoying your build.

-Bill

I had a 9.9 stroke merc for my broadbill and it pushed it just fine fully loaded.

I recently debated between a 2 or 4 stroke 15hp yamaha and ultimately decided on the 2stroke. Primarily because of the weight factor. If you can find a yammie 15hp 2stroke I don't think you would be disappointed. Where I bought mine I know the dealer had about 14 or so remaining. These motors are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I think I'll try to find a two stroke. The four stroke would be quite a bit heavier and more expensive. Old school it is!

David

2 Stroke, a 9.9/15 Evinrude/Johnson if you can find one someone is willing to sell at a reasonable price. Yamahas are great too.
IMO, the additional weight of the 4-stroke on small boats is a killer. Not worth the quiet or additional fuel mileage.

Now, if we are talking a big hull, like a bass boat, large duck boat like a big garvey or big Bankes, or 17' CC or bigger, 4 stroke are the best choice. Mileage difference in the big 2 strokes vs. 4-strokes is significant and when the hull is that heavy already, not much of a difference.

The comparison between the 2 and the 4 stroke is quite different. The 4 strokes weigh weigh a significant amount more but you don't have to mix oil with gas. I personally would go with a 2 stroke because you will get a lighter motor and more power for your buck. I am sure the 2 stroke will be cheaper as well. Good luck with whatever you get nows the time to buy them

TWO STROKE......In the end you'll be happier, not that 4's are bad,but I think a properly maintained 2 stroke will outlast the 4 any day ,IMHO. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Back