Getting the Camber Right on the Broadbill

David Palmer

Hey folks! I'm in the middle of my Broadbill build and have cut my bulkheads according to my own measurements. I have deviated a bit from Devlin's plans and have added 4" to the boat's overall length and 1" to the heights of the sides. Each bulkhead's tallest centerline measurement was also increased by 1.5". I used a batten to get the curve, but it's not looking right to me. I haven't seen anything in Devlin's plans about a particular camber height, and I was wondering if ya'll could offer me any help.

I looked at Eric's "Scaulp Build", and saw how he used several battens to establish his own curves. I also read Devlin's book about his "cheater method" for drawing camber lines. Any other ideas? This is my first boat build with bulkheads and a deck and I'm a bit stumped.

Grace and peace,

David

David

What do you mean by not looking right?

As I recall there are two cockpit bulkheads, a transom and a bow. The way I did it the 1 1/2" increase only applies to the bulkheads, not the transom and bow. The bow pretty much is the same as the plans. The transom height is partially dictated by your motor. The motor mount that is scabbed on the transom that the motor clamps to should protrude enough so that the motor clamp doesn't interfere with the deck. Also your cavitation plate should run about level with the hull. You need to work out these dimensions so that your motor will both clamp down and not have too much or too little foot in the water.

Eric

Back