Gobble Gobble in every tree

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
The morning started out at 33 degrees but very little wind. About 15 minutes after I had gotten settled in, I heard the first gobble. Goodness gracious, it was very nearby a bit behind and over my right shoulder. That meant I had walked right under him on the way thru the timber. There was quite a bit of other gobbling coming from trees further away. The whole timber was echoing back and forth with their gobbles.
Soon a young Jake came into view. He came from behind me and had gobbled once, after he had flown down from the tree. He was taking it a step at a time all the while scanning for that hen he had heard. He came from the right, made a half circle in front of me and all the way to my left. He then retraced his steps back to the right hand side of me stopping about 20 yards away. At which point he proceeded to let out gobble after gobble. He seemed extremely disappointed, when he could not find that elusive hen that he was hearing. Getting no response to his gobbling, he drifted off to the north and disappeared from view.

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1529.JPG

Finally, Don't like my gobbles? I'm outta here!

IMG_1533.JPG

I love it!!!! Hopefully the birds will be more talkative for me this weekend. I had a bird gobbling at me last saturday but he had ladies and then a big ass tree fell in the woods (they do make a sound) and the birds all vamoosed. Sunday was just too windy to hear anything.

No gobbling here yet. Usually mid-April. Hard to know this year. We had woodcock peenting last week, then a foot of heavy wet snow, and the last 2 days 2" of rain of that have pretty much melted all the snow. I'd say we are back to something like normal for early April--with another big snow storm now forecast for next week. OTOH, a friend a little closer to the coast said last night in the rain was the "big night" for spotted salamander migration. We haven't seen any. Hearing a few wood frogs, no peepers yet.

Out scouting Sat morning, and only heard one gobble but it's still early yet. I did see the most geese I've seen all season though. Had to be almost 1000 in four different flocks that were flying hard South on a mission to someplace. Maybe they will come back around this fall.....

Out scouting Sat morning, and only heard one gobble but it's still early yet. I did see the most geese I've seen all season though. Had to be almost 1000 in four different flocks that were flying hard South on a mission to someplace. Maybe they will come back around this fall.....
Sounds like an eventful morning! Geese sightings are always a spectacle. Hopefully, those flocks will circle back in the fall. Best of luck with your scouting and upcoming hunting season.

Back