Grass rail question

David Palmer

I?m making new grass rails for my BBIII and my local supplier doesn?t have mahogany in a 15? length. He does have red grandis and clayed poplar (aka ?Viking Wood?). Would either of these woods work well for grass rails? If not, what other woods would you suggest?

Grace and Advent peace,

David

I never heard of either and just looked them up. Very interesting sounding, id like to hear if anyone has experience with them

David~

Neither species is known to me. I suggest to searcg on-line re their hardness and their rot-resistance. Medium density and some rot resistance is desirable.

As an example to avoid, Yellow Poplar (really Tulip Tree - Liriodendron) is nice to work with but rots very quickly in any outdoor application, even if well-sealed.

Finally, select any board you buy to have straight grain. Cross-grain on anything you might bend during installation risks fracture.

All the best,

SJS

What about doing a scarf joint to get the length. Can be done on the sander, then cut to width on the table saw. I did that on my first boat, but used wood I had around. Lasted many years but cracked from abuse. Ducks won't see the joint.

I replaced all my grass rails with stretched bungee cord run through cable tv clamps....fast, easy and durable, enough.

If you want wood, you should be able to find oak you can cut down.

I used Pex tubing with Pex hangers ... the tubing snaps into hangers holds the grass well. Been on for a month so far with no issues.

Joe

Joe~

Does the Pex itself hold the grass - or do you lash the hay to the Pex?

Also, how far apart do you space your hangers/clips?

All the best,

SJS

I used some synthetic material to replace the grass rails on my Devlin Broadbill. It worked pretty well but it wasn't as stiff as I would have liked it to be. Scarfing two pieces of mahogany sounds like a good suggestion. I may choose to do that in the end.

This is what I found online about the other woods:

Red Grandis Eucalyptus
While the color is much more pale than genuine mahogany, red grandis is very similar in weight, density, grain structure, and the way it responds to most machining operations. The wood's color does deepen with age turning to a darker red much like mahogany.

Clayed Poplar

Thermally modified wood products have been used widely for more than 20 years in Germany, Austria, Norway, Switzerland, Japan and Italy for both interior and exterior applications. Centuries ago, the Vikings learned to overcome the shortcomings of natural wood by treating it with fire. They discovered that burning the surface of cut wood made it more resistant to the effects of outdoor exposure. It was only within the last century that Europeans perfected the thermal modification process. And by adding steam, found that the structure of wood was further modified, making it more impervious to rot, mildew, and decay. The thermal modification results in hardwoods with outstanding dimensional stability and rot-resistance. The ability of the cells in wood to transport water is reduced, resulting in water-resistant properties. The sugar content in the wood cells is also reduced, minimizing the food source for mold and fungus. These two physical changes in the wood result in a hardwood product stable and durable enough for exterior applications ? much as the Vikings used it.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I let you know what I decide to do.

Grace and peace,

David

Last edited:
David

Red Grandis is a very good choice according to my duck hunting buddy that owns a custom millwork shop. They use it for exterior millwork and he says it machines nicely and has all the right properties for grass rails. As an alternative look on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for someone selling white oak for trailer beds. It comes in 16' lengths and will work for grass rails. Google should uncover trailer deck suppliers as well. If you explore this be sure to ask if their oak is dried. Sometimes they slap green wood on trailer beds.

Eric

Last edited:
David

I just learned of this place a few hours ago while at an auction for a pattern shop. They are reported to carry 16' mahogany and have a location in Birmingham.

https://www.rugbyabp.com/

Eric Patterson

Back