help-direction of grain?

LI Mike

I found a mill that has bass wood locally actually not bass wood but linden but to my understanding and research it is on in the same. The problem is this i was under the impression that the grain shod run from the bottom of the neck to the top of the head. how imperative is this in the pieces that i have found the best i can do is the side of the neck to the opposite side of the head.Its a 3x9 piece of wood and when stood on end the grain runs on an approximate 45 degree angle for talking sake. So the question is this is this a usable piece of wood for carving heads or even could it be used for bodies if i glue them together? thank for reading and any advice LI Mike

Mike, go here and see how most carvers do it.

http://www.theduckblind.com/cyberclassroom/mallard_head/mallard_head.htm

Negative mike, grain should run parallel to the bill. If it's a thin neck species of duck you can reinforce with a dowell or screw.

If you want to do it your way you'll need to insert a seperate bill insert.

so looking head-on the grain should be horizontal not vertical? I have been doing it the other way around. I noticed that from the link above. So my wood with the angled grain is probably no good.

Mike,

Where did you find the Linden wood?
I have been calling all over the island and only found 1 yard that has Basswood. Roberts Plywood in Deer Park. Problem is that they will only sell the full board length and I'm not loking to get a 8' or 10' board at just over $4 a board foot.

Mike,

For the best long term durability the grain should run vertically through the head and bill. If you line it up as horizontal the bill and neck could very easily snap off.

if that being the case and the most logical of explanations what i have will work fine its not perfectly vertical but close enough. thanks

I always make my heads with the grain running horizontal, parallel to the bill. This makes for a stronger bill. I reinforce the neck by running a hardwood dowel up through it.

Maybe it part of wood choice, but I've never seen anyone carve a bill having vertical cross grain running though it. I think it would snap off with pinky pressure.

Vertical though the neck is OK, but then you would have to add a seperate piece for the bill to orient the long grain with the length of the bill.

I actually tilt the head so the grain is exactly parallel to the bill. Seems to be strongest this way. But I am sure there are 1000 ways to skin a cat.

Here's a Pic from willy's site that Duane referenced earlier, that's the only way I've ever seen it done.

http://www.theduckblind.com/cyberclassroom/mallard_head/mallard_head.htm

Last edited:
Here is how I do it. grain paralel with the bill. You could run a piece vertical for the neck and glue the head on for a long neck application .
DSC02363.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I think we might be saying the same thing but with different words. Its really hard to tell from both of your photos but it looks like the grain is running straight up and down the head (from top to bottom). A cross ways grain through the bill and neck would be the situation that would cause weakness at those points.

Run the grain horizontal with the bill. To strengthen the bill coat with epoxy and heat with a hair dryer, it will thin like water and soak in. I use West System, Try others first in a scrap piece.

Back