26404cockpit_templates_cut_out_and_ready_to_go.jpg

26404deck_boards_and_ribs_in_place.jpg

26404decks_all_on_cock_pit_floor_in_place.jpg

26404ready_for_paint.jpg

26404splash_rail_and_hardwear_in_place.jpg

26404good_to_go.jpg

YEAH it works it was a great weekend
26404GREAT_WEEKEND.jpg

I didn’t set it up for a motor I row it most of the time LOL I like to hunt out in bigwater with it, it tow’s real nice. It works great out near shoals where there isn’t much cover and a blind would stick out.

Last edited:
That is one of the best conversions of a that kind of boat I have seen. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice conversion, I agree with "the nicest" comment. Any idea on weight by chance? Could it work with a motor?

Mark W

I suppose it could Mark if you were to build up the transom. To tell you the truth I’ve never considered it. I have no idea about the weight. Two guys can move it without any problem.

It rows really fast with the long bow and to chase down a cripple takes no time at all. Where I sit in it woks as a swing or pivot point in turning if you will. So as I get up to a cripple I can turn on a dime. Then with the raised stern as a sailboat, you can row as fast in reverse as you do in forward. With the raised stern your not plowing water as you would in a normal boat.

I had the glass already, so it cost me under $200.00 and it took me about 40hrs to build it, since I didn’t have any plans. Most of the time was spent drinking coffee and thinking about what I was going to next. LOL
Heres a pic to kind of show how the stern raise's up to alow you to row in reverse
26404layout_boat.jpg

Not only can you hunt out of it, this Salmon got to close for his own good.
He was a legally caught

26404my_big_fish.jpg

Last edited:
Talk about a mixed bag! That is a nice salmon. And a great job on the boat.
I imagine with that much rocker in the hull, you would only need a 3-5 hp to get it to hull speed.

Hey, what happened to the pic's? Can anyone else see them or is it my computer again?

Mark W

DL,,,how did you make the cut to decide the boats side height,,did you make a straight cut at say 5 inches the length of the boat?,,,The reason I ask is I picked up a 14 footer for 25 bucks and am going to try what you did ,,,thanks Chuck

Hi Chuck
First I made my two bulkheads templates. Then I just made my cockpit templates fit; I knew the height I needed to fit my body, so I cut the templates knowing I was going to have a splash rail around the top. I didn’t use any math formula, I wish I had a set of plans, but I don’t. If I haven’t already, I know I’m going to make myself sound like an idiot, but I didn’t even know what a cut line was, thanks Wispete you’re the man. I just sat there, knowing what I wanted and I built it. I don’t have any training in boat building. I don’t fully know all the terms LOL I’m just a knucklehead that likes to build duck boats. I wanted something that was low profile and fast. I’ve built a few over the years and everyone is different. As I said earlier I just sat there visioning what it was going to look like when it was all done. I wish I could be of more help.

right fine job there and i agree the best of the sunfish conversions....did you by chance keep the the templates????

i found an old one [sunfish] and have been bugging the owner to sell it to me and every year it sits and rots and gets covered in mold and fungus
but she will not sell ,i teased her its getting cheaper every year you hang on to it....lol
id love to try your idea on it to hunt the open bays up here....if she ever sells it to me...

if ya happen to have the templates id be interested in some paper copies...

shermie....

Thanks Shermie,
I know I through out the cardboard templates. I might still have the templates for the decks. After I had the ribs and deck frame done and in stalled, I just rolled out heavy felt paper, cut it to fit. I stapled it to my plywood, and then I used my jigsaw and cut them out. What I normally do is I drive around and see one, like you sitting in someone’s yard or hear of one that has had a crack in it. After sometime the person who owns it, finds out they are heavy with water that has gotten inside. By this time they are happy to get rid of them and they give them to me. I haven’t yet paid for one. I have two more ready to be reborn. When you get it home all you have to do is drill out the rivets thats in the aluminum trim where the hull meets the deck. They split apart fairly easily, them just remove the old heavy waterlogged foam from them and glass all the holes, too simple Good luck Shermie

DL

Back