How do your earn your living?

Rutgers

Here is what I do. I'm a tile setter. I have do hardwood floor, and even got roped into doing 40,000 square feet of production work laminate flooring this summer for an apartment complex, but for the last 10 years the bulk of my work has been ceramic tile. Over the last three years things have really changed in the tile business around here. Used to be I could count on having five hundred feet of floor work and a fireplace or back splash with the ocassional shower thrown in, but there are a couple factors that have changed along with the economy.

First, Quality builders have been slow and almost non existent. Many of the homes built in this area are targeted to a bottom line per foot price, and tile isn't in the budget for this type of work. In fact, most of these houses are being build so cheaply that the subfloor and/or joists aren't suitable for anything other than vinyl or carpet.

Second of all, with a lot of manufacturing on its way across the border, and guys loosing factory jobs, they figure they'll get into the construction business. After all, a grand worth of tools and one of those books at home depot that tell how how to build or fix something and they are on their way. They operate uninsured, skip things like underlayment and taxes, and hire illegal labor. Lots of these guys bid jobs at or below what I have into them. The work shows it, but people either don't know the difference or don't care. Fortunately, most of these guys steer away from anything custom so at least I've had a few crumbs to live on.

I have been doing a lot of custom ceramic showers the past few years. I'm not complaining cause at least it's something, but the money isn't all that great compared to doing flat work. Here's one I just finished up this evening. An hour out of town, but at lest gas prices are down. They wanted to keep it simple, but still have it look custom. Brick pattern 12x12 porcelain with some mosaic accents and a few travertine shelves. Sorry about the pics, but I took them with my phone.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

How bout you? Anything interesting with your job?

After next week I will post a photo series of me freezing my butt in King Salmon, AK. Its november and there are no fish running, ice everywhere, no birds either. Drill rig and geologist collecting samples. A least there are no black flies or brown bears.

Paul

I wish you were closer. Michelle just ordered tile for our kitchen to do the backsplash behind the counters. It would be an easy task for you and I know I'd get it done right. Where I live we are starting to see a reduction in new starts but nothing like the rest of the country. A lot of our local enconomy is centered around the Army's Redstone Arsenal and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center so the incoming dollars are not effected as quickly by the ups and downs in the market. However, we are always subject to DoD and Gov cuts and with the way the election is leaning things could get tough. Democrat leaders are already calling for a 25% cut in missile defense which would result in a lot more than 25% loss in jobs because some of the non-labor costs cannot be reduced. My job is tied directly to those DoD dollars and cuts of that magnitude could leave me looking for a new line of work. Not something I want to do at this stage in my life and career.

High school history teacher - gr 9,10, and 11.

I wish you lived closer too as there is a big stack of tile in my garage as we speak waiting for someone to install it. Hard wood is on the menu this winter too and the carpet is already gone, so this time she is serious! I don't know who is sponsoring this reno-rama, but I hope its not coming out of the Mike and Mac float plane budget!

Mike

Hmmm Is a road trip in the works? Really, tile work isnt that hard to do so long as you are willing to be patient enough to do it right. I've seen a lot of work from diy'ers that rivals that of professionals. Biggest reason I keep in work is people are afraid of the unknown and dont tackle many projects, dont want to get dirty, dont have the tools, or are just lazy. Getting past that, just take your time, use the right mud and trowl, and be fussy with what you do. With the workmanship I've seen in your guy's projects, you'll do just fine.

Last edited:
Ray, how cold is it there? I used to sopend a few weeks on Kodiak every December and it want that bad. A little cold, but nothing like Michigan. We'd usually stick around till the pilot said "we have to go NOW"

K through 8th grade art teacher, p.o.c. firefighter, voice over artist,auctioneer.

and am I every glad you DO live close. I can't measure a draw a straight line or grout the gap in my teeth let alone make anything as nice looking as that shower, but one day I may NEED to.
P.S. Got Terry the Taxidermist Weick carving his first decoy. I think he is now fatally infected with the virus.

B

Jest let me know Brian. Good that you got Terry carving. I dont know what his carving skills are, but I know the paint job will be bad ass!

Hmmmm, what do I do for a living.......sometimes it's hard to know. ;)
Started out my professional life as a teacher...Bachelors in Biology, minor in chemistry....Masters in Teaching & Biology. Taught school for 10 years (Biology, Advanced Biology, Chemistry & Physics) and could make more money with my wood working business in the summer than the full 9 months teaching. I went self employed in '78 with my custom woodworking business & photography. The photog stuff got me doing articles and field testing for 11 different companies and then I bought one of them-Lock Stock & Barrell. Also got heavy into duck hunting and ran a guide service for about 15 years.........marsh, layout & sculling. Bought the E. Allen Decoy Company in '96 and been working at both the boat company & decoy company full time since then. With the way the economy has been running, I bought a model airplane manufacturing company to enhance cash flow. We're still working at getting that company........off the ground properly. Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it.
Anyhow, I love what I do and do what I love. It just doesn't get any better than that.
On the side......I'm involved in decoy carving www.scfwa.net as well as radio control model airplanes www.rccd.org. Oh yeh, forgot, fly fishing & tying also www.mffc.org I'm looking for something to do in my spare time.
Later all,
Lou

Last edited:
Retired commercial fisherman.
Presently, Flyfishing Guide in Adirondacks, NY- April thru August.
Hunting/Fishing Guide in AK Peninsula- Sept/Oct.
Dec.,Jan.,Feb., snowmaking pm shift Whiteface Mt.,NY.
Guess what I do Nov. mornings?
March=Flytying.

Bill Stahl
Wilmington NY

Maintenance Mechanic, I work on offset printing presses, I ran the machines for about 18 years then transfered into the maint dept. Alot less stress fixing them than running them. Also get to fabricate parts using machine shop tools.

I'm an eingernear!!! I work for this company. http://www.lewismachine.net/

But my passion is being a residential designer. I've been drawing house plans for over 25years as a side income and at one point from 1990 to 1997 as my main income. Here is the beginnings of my current project. This is to be build in Arkansas for a guy and his wife retiring from Louisiana.

View attachment Front_Iso.jpg

View attachment Rear_Iso.jpg

Take care,

Ed L.

View attachment Front_Iso.jpg
View attachment Rear_Iso.jpg

well up until last week i was a landscaper. i built fairly large natural stone walls and brick paver drive ways and patios as well as natural stone patios. i worked for this company www.openearthlandscaping.com . not sure if they've updated the site with any of the stuff ive built but some projects included a 120' foot natural stone wall and some fairly large patios and driveways.

i also planted trees, shrubs, and flowers and commercial landscape installation when the stone work was slow. i milk cows for my dad to earn my keep at my parents house for the time being.

eddie

Rutgers, We would make a good team. I am "The Shower Door Man"!! I do all the field measuring and layouts for custom fabrication of 1/2" and 3/8" frameless shower doors, Lead installer for our team and and onsite foreman. One of our recently completed projects is the Plaza Hotel residences in NYC. It amazes me every day what people are willing to pay for what they perceive as The Best. I enjoy my job as it keeps me at new locations and meeting new people all the time. My personal time is at an all time low, as it seems that qualified people become harder to find in this specialty field. The young guys seem to want to work as little as they can and get paid more than the Boss.

Last edited:
I was a commercial/industrial carpenter for 20 years. My knees went bad, five knee surgeries later, I went through retraining to be a building inspector.
I did on the job training for a year with a building dept with everyone, including me, expecting it to turn into a fulltime job. But budget cuts eliminated the position. I hit the road, stopping at just about every building dept. from Medford to Portland, and some off the I-5 corridor as well. I was able to get a job as a plans examiner about 70 miles from home, just in time for the building boom to take off.
I was buried in plans there for 8 months, and got a call from Clatsop county to re-interview for an inspectors position. After the interview I was offered the job. I did something I've rarely done in life, I quit a good job to take this one. Bought a house after only two weeks on the job, and moved 300 miles from where I'd spent most of my life. I've been here 5 years now, and we love our new home, and I like my job.
As an inspector I get out of the office. I hated plan review, chained to the desk. Since I live in an area where rich people move to when they retire, we haven't been hit as bad as the rest of the state yet. But new housing starts are down. We're seeing more remodels and additions now. People who couldn't get a contractor to return a phone call a year ago now have guys competing for the work. I also see alot more general contractors doing their own foundations and framing now, instead of subbing it out.
I've seen it go up and down for 25 years, and it'll rebound again. I'm worried if BO gets in the white house, with a dem house and senate, we'll be looking at the mess we had at the end of Jimmy Carter's term, or even worse. We've been paying down our debt for the last 2-3 years, I hope it's enough.

Started out 2 years in the Army as an RTO (radio transmitter operator), after that I went to school to be a lineman. Did the lineman thing for about a year until I got tired of freezing my butt off. Moved down to Maryland and got a job installing network cabling for large commercial operations. Then slowly graduted up to fusion splicing and termination of fiber optic cable. Actually got lucky enought to do a fiber optic job up at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage. Spent years traveling all over the states installing systems for everyone from the federal government to Winstar. Several years ago and got hired by a large hotel chain to oversee special telecom projects at their headquarters building. Been there ever since.

I teach marine and motorcycle mechanics at a state technical college. I think it is interesting all the teachers that are here. So much talent in one place. Kind of like at school, if I have a problem with just about anything someone in the building can help (a non taxable benefit) and soo much fun.

I set up timber sales for a private company in the western UP. Being out in the weather all the time can really get me down - think of snowshoing every day for 5 months! Or bug season, or rain season, etc. But in the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty cool job, every day is an adventure, and I just can't see anything else being better than what I'm doing.

NR

NIce work!
The guy who did our custom shower/tub area messed up the floor and water pools on one side. He put in a second drain in the lowest spot but we still have small amounts of water standing. WHen we get ready to re-do it, want to make a road trip????

Well, that my title. WHat do I do? I work in the Al. Dept of Cons & Nat Res., Lands Division, Coastal Section.
I help impliment the states coastal program. I am mainly involved in habitat conservation & restoration issues. I've got a couple of large marsh restoration projects I manager, manage a good number of natural resource research grants and I represent the State on the Habitat Conservation and Restoration Team of the Gulf of Mexico Alliance. I also manage our public access construction grant program to provide small grant for public access construction projects in local communities. Throw in some habitat mapping projects that I manage, some local govt. technical assistance work, representing the program on dredging and navigation project management teams and a few other misc tasks.
Overall a rewarding job. I won't get rich but I like going to work and the benefits are great. Being able to scout for ducks while working is a big bonus!
I will try to post some pics of me at work on Monday.

Back