is the weight capacity/max hp sticker required?

michael barnes

as some of you know, i bought an old '62 starcraft hull a couple months back. due to its age (pre '72) it did not have a hull id. well, i got a HIN, and due to college and some other issues, i dont have the money to fix the boat like it should be. i have got it sold for what i paid for it, so im happy about that, but before i take the money for it, i had one more question. there was a thin aluminum sticker on the board that goes accross the transom. the sticker had the boat model, a serial number, and the max hp. there was no weight capacitiy on it. the sticker is in pretty bad shape, some of it was ripped off when i got it, so i peeled what was left of it off the transom, and i have it with the title. is this sticker required, and if so, is there any way to get a new one, and is there any chance the next owner could get into any trouble using the boat with the damaged sticker, or if it wasnt there at all? i wont sell it if there is a chance of that, so id appreciate any info. thanks, mike.

Michael

Doesn't matter much how things were when you purchased the boat. What matters now is what your particular State requirements are for a proper and legal transfer. The only "opinion" that counts is you local State or county office.

My advice is to contact that office and get the facts and your questions answered directly from that office. Everything else is immaterial.

hey, thanks for the reply. i wasnt sure if the sticker was a coast guard requirement, or a state requirement. ive had a bad experiance with the va dept of game a fish, when i was trying to the the HIN stuff straight, so i was reluctant to call them again. ill do that monday morning, then take it from there.

Michael,
In most states (I believe) it is required to have the information fixed to the boat, but the sticker (or plate) is not itself an official document. In other words, if you know what the weight capacity, # of persons, and max hp is for your boat, you can have your own plate made. Just print out the information from the USCG website regarding dimensions of the plate and the required information and take it to a shop that makes trophies. They can engrave a custom plate for you for $5 to $10.
Rick

Back