Jet ski to duck boat?

Tim B(tbrom)

I came across an old wave runner that is junked out. The hull needs some work but it looks very close to the dimensions of a layout. I converted a sunfish and was wondering if anyone had done a jet ski.

I came across an old wave runner that is junked out. The hull needs some work but it looks very close to the dimensions of a layout. I converted a sunfish and was wondering if anyone had done a jet ski.

I have often wondered if they made camo wet suits for duck hunters using a jet ski! Good luck with your idea. Sounds like a good one.
Al

I've been fantasizing about doing this for years. I just know it would be awesome. Please do this and then post a bunch of pictures.

Isn't there a considerable V to the hull, which would increase your draft? Also, the hull is probably quite heavy....especially for the size; they're made to withstand high speeds.
Probably some things to think about.

FYI: My boat is actually a converted 16' Glastron runabouat; built for speed (i.e. 50mph). I have a 40 hp on it, but it's rated for 3X that. Makes for an extremely solid/durable hull, but draft and weight are the two biggest drawbacks. Makes for a good sea duck boat, though.

There are lots of jet-ski-jon boat conversions shown on youtube. Have a looksee and see if its something you like. Seems like most of the boat space goes to fitting the engine an steering, but those things might be good...

Brent
Do you have any pictures of your conversion? There is a free 16 foot glass hull here that is screaming to be made into a duck boat.

Bob.

Years ago on the old forum there was a gentleman that took the motor and made it fit the devlin broadbill plans...I can not recall his name, tip of my tongue...Still uses the sight today...I remember thinking about buying it but was fresh out of college at the time and could not afford it...

Regards,

Kristan

Cool pictures Brent. Looks like that will get across the bay no problem.

Tim, there was a 1\2 scale lobster boat that a guy had built here a few years back. They put a jet ski in the back to power it with the jet. Worked well and moved out.
I would not want to clean the jet of swamp muck though.
The boat was in Wooden Boat Magazine built by Tom Townsend.

Bob

I'm not sure if you're planning on keeping the jet ski motor intact, or just using the hull, but something to think about is that some states don't allow personal watercraft (aka, jet skis) to operate before sunrise. I know this came up on a Texas forum once.

I remember a bunch of years ago a guy won best of show at the tuckerton decoy show with a bb sneakbox that had a jetski motor in it for power. very cool looking and I would guess to say very fast.

BrentS, made mine from a '68 Glastron JetFlite - a 14' rated for 60hp. Heavy, and it takes a 35hp to get it up and going, but it is a dream to hunt from - solid and steady in the water and very seaworthy.

BrentS, made mine from a '68 Glastron JetFlite - a 14' rated for 60hp. Heavy, and it takes a 35hp to get it up and going, but it is a dream to hunt from - solid and steady in the water and very seaworthy.

Interesting Mark, do you have a pic?
Yeah, they're definitely solid, but I'll eventually have to get myself a boat that is more suitable to the shallow bay marsh hunting that I do. I may keep this one for towing and/or sea duck hunting though, as I like it a lot.
Mine utilizes most of the power from the 40hp motor to get-up and stay on plane. I guess that's another thing for people to think about when considering using a hull that's designed for higher speeds (i.e. V-hull); the motor will likely need to be a bit larger if you want to plane the boat, and that adds even more weight.

Back