L.L. Bean boots...what the?

bob welsh

I know this is a duck BOAT site but I have a story about duck BOOTS. My daughter is home for Christmas break and she sees my Maine hunting shoes near the back door. She says Dad those are so IN right now. She goes on to tell me about how the trend is northwoods or lumberjack chic! She says Bean is backordered for months on these. She also spied my red and black woolrich jacshirt and those are hot as well. Well it turns out I have a treasure chest full of that kind of stuff in the attic. My wifes old stuff (careful to read ...not old wife stuff) fits her now so shes back to college with a new wardrobe. It turns out I have been on the cutting edge of fashion all along! If only Zuba pants and Members Only jackets come back in....

Yep, "lumbersexual" is the look. My niece was in town from Ohio State and said the same thing... I just told my wife yesterday I was a trend setter!

I've heard Bean is back ordered over 100k pairs. Look at where Filson is spending their marketing dollars, it's not on hunters... They don't even make their Waterfowl Sweater any more.

Woolrich plaid has been hot in many of the antique shops around here for a while, and I have heard about the Beans boot thing. But I'll tell ya, we stopped in Freeport on the way back from a trip earlier this year. the new store is a high end department store, and most of those folks in there have never been of of sight of their SUV in the wild.

My daughter ask me for a pair of my wool socks last night. And out door she went with a flannel shirt , a knitted wool cap, and work boats. Whats next? A ax?
Now I know.

Eddie Bauer sold great goose down stuff. Sadly today the down could only be harvested from free range cage free non GMO fed geese that died of old age.

Stormy Kromer has been advertising hard to women for about five years now. When I moved to the UP in 1978, my brother asked me to buy him an "Elmer Fudd" hat. I finally figured out that he wanted a fold-down Stormy Kromer. At that time they were on the verge of folding-up...

The President highlighted Getz Clothiers, Inc. and Donkers Chocolates for expanding their customer base via internet based marketing platforms during his visit to Marquette. If you go to Getz website, you get the jist of where this trend originated...

Remember when L.L. Bean used to sell TDB boats in their catalog?

This clears up an incident from last week when a young woman in a gas station complimented my hunting hat, much to my confusion.

Been wearing it for decades and all compliments up to this point have been mostly sarcasm.

my wife has been lobbying for a decent burial for the hat since the last century

This clears up an incident from last week when a young woman in a gas station complimented my hunting hat, much to my confusion.

Been wearing it for decades and all compliments up to this point have been mostly sarcasm.

my wife has been lobbying for a decent burial for the hat since the last century

Haha, too funny Mike, I can't imagine ever being in style, wonder what's next........;-)

Hmmmm.....I wonder if Abercrombie & Fitch has ever thought of selling outdoor gear......??????

SJS

I'm still laughing over this comment.

I sure was in for a letdown when I heard Abercrombie & Fitch was putting a store in the new mall years ago.

Article from The Atlantic about the lumbersexual fad
http://www.businessinsider.com/lumbersexuality-and-its-roots-2014-12?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Business Insider Select&utm_campaign=BI Select Weekend 2014-12-28&utm_content=BISelect

So....i read this thread to my wife and here is the conversation afterwards....

Me: "i didn't know i was a trendsetter with my shirts and stormy kromer hats"

Wife: "yea"

Me: "you don't love my fashion?"

Wife: "i love you."

She is soooo funny....lol

Abercromie and Fitch used to be a high end hunting outfitter. I cant post this but in Ralf Coykendells book duck decoys and how to rig them there is a picture of the gun room or an A&F showroom featuring decoys and double barrel shotguns shotguns.

Thats before venture capital and being yuppized.

Can anyone tell me the LL Bean boot was??

Phil

Phil~

Back in the day (20s and 30s) A&F sold Great South Bay Scooters made by Dodge & Krowl in Islip (south shore of Long Island). I grew up in East Islip. We will have an original D&K Scooter at our antique decoy show in March. I would love to find an old catalog with these fine gunning boats listed.

All the best,

SJS

Article from The Atlantic about the lumbersexual fad
http://www.businessinsider.com/lumbersexuality-and-its-roots-2014-12?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Business Insider Select&utm_campaign=BI Select Weekend 2014-12-28&utm_content=BISelect

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gag- more about racial/gender divisive politics than a humorous fashion trend

I still wear the two Eddie Bauer goose down coat/jacket, one bought in the 70's the other in the 80's. Would never give up my Stormy Kromer, old Pendleton shirt, Woolrich and Hudson Bay Company jac/shirts, Fillson upland shirt, LL. Bean stuff, etc. Also a very good preening Black Duck made by Decoys Unlimited with stamp that reads "Made For Abercrombie and Fitch Co By Decoys Unlimited".

Sure would be good if young people would embrace our lifestyle, and not just our high quality old attire...

Abercromie and Fitch used to be a high end hunting outfitter.

Phil

I have one of their fly rods:

fca33bf7.jpg

a89f0972.jpg

Back